1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC Dept. of Health Anti-Smoking ads

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Feb 2, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The City has mandated that any place selling cigarettes has to display these grotesque posters, which are just nasty to look at. I am as anti-smoking as anyone and think people who smoke should be ostracized, should be denied health insurance or have to bear a much greater cost, etc. But as long as cigarettes are legal, this strikes me as the nanny state run amok. Here is a video that ran on NY1 about them. You risk a $2,000 fine if you don't put the poster up in your store -- many of the places are mostly food places. What do others think about this?

http://www.ny1.com/1-all-boroughs-news-content/112900/new-yorkers-divided-over-graphic-anti-smoking-ads-in-stores

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Ban it or don't. This is silly.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Y'all think those are really that disturbing? Seriously? Give me a break.

Can't stores get out of posting the signs by not selling cigarettes? Don't like the ugly reality? Don't sell the fucking things.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I don't get how the brain picture is disturbing. Obviously there's something wrong, but it's not like looking at a person. I remember as a kid seeing a public-service poster with an absolutely horrible-looking older woman smoking, and the tagline was "smoking is very glamorous." Can't remember where I was, but I remember that poster.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Who cares. In about a week those stupid posters will blend into the scenery.

6. The Big Ragu

Regardless, should the city government be mandating that stores have to hang 19 X 20 posters of their choosing?

7. outofplace

One, the description of these as graphic is a joke. I have a very hard time taking anybody seriously when they are whining about how horrible these things look.

Once we get past that, as far as I'm concerned, this is no worse than the warning labels on the packages. The stores don't have to hang the posters. They can choose not to sell cigarettes.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The guv'mint wants you to not smoke but also needs smokers' tax revenue. Make up your minds, already.

9. The Big Ragu

I'm not whining. I'm pointing out that if I am running a bagel store, like that guy is, I don't want the city forcing me to put pictures of blackened lungs on my wall. It would piss me off, and judging by the stories, half the customers in the place were put off by it.

And that is convoluted reasoning. It is LEGAL to sell cigarettes. Those posters are randomly being foisted on businesses engaged in a perfectly legal practice. This is not a role the city government should be playing. Either make selling cigarettes illegal or keep it legal. But this is as ridiculous as it is feckless. It isn't going to influence anyone's behavior, of course, and to me, it is a blatant example of random governmental intrusion in private enterprise, based on the societal goals of some unelected busy body.

My opinion. But I certainly didn't "whine" about it, as you put it.

10. outofplace

First of all, you complained that the posters were "grotesque" and "just nasty to look at," which at the very least is a ridiculous use of the word grotesque and sure sounds like whining about the posters to me.

Secondly, it's not random. It is a back-door attack on the sale of cigarettes and governments do this at all levels because they know they can't get it done at the front door. Spare me the "make it illegal or keep it legal" bullshit. Any reasonable person with a clue knows that making it illegal is not a realistic option, at least not at this time, even though it should be.

Is it a little sneaky? Yup. Justified? Damn right, IMHO. Random? Absolutely not. Again, please be more careful with your word choice.

Again, the stores have a choice. They can simply not sell cigarettes.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's twofer with NYC also diet concious also. One look at poster and you stop smoking and lose your appetite.

12. The Big Ragu

1) Yeah, I find mandating that a bagel store put a 19 X 20 picture of a pair of blackened lungs near where people are ordering their food to be grotesque. Call that whining, if it suits you. It's my opinion.

2) The "they have a choice" is convoluted reasoning. As long as selling cigarettes is legal, their business is being infringed upon because the city government is mandating some random regulation on them that forces them to decorate their walls as the city sees fit, not as the business owner sees it best in order to promote his business. Either make selling cigarettes legal or make it illegal. But as long as it's legal, when you start doing silly things like fining anyone who doesn't display those posters $2,000 you are not giving people choices, as you put it. You are stepping on their toes and messing with people's business establishments.

That shouldn't be the city government's role.

Draft saved Draft deleted