1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYC anchor live on the air: "What the F are you doing?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, May 13, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would be surprised if anything happened to her.

Backlash would be overwhelming.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

apples and oranges., byh. hope you're correct, though. 8)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Can;t even say she was misquoted.. It was pretty distinct.

4. Love_Sports

Love_Sports Member

reminds me of when Bert Blyleven dropped the F-bomb twice while live. it happens.

http://www.lemonzoo.com/funny_videos/16411/Bert_Blyleven_Screwing_Up_On_Live_TV.html

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I gather it wasn't on the TelePrompter. SHE DID IT LIVE!!!!!

Granted, being an ink-stained wretch, I've dropped a variety of expletives at my computer screen, but I'd think broadcasters would put their brain on lockdown any time they get near a studio and assume anything they say is going out live, seeing how stuff like this finds its way to the Web.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

No doubt, but I think it's going to take a lot more than an f-bomb to break up New York's most popular news team.

Even though I'm not a fan of either. *ducking and running*

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't think stations can't ignore the backlash and do whatever the hell they want anyway.

See: Herzog, Frank and WJFK firing. ::)

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I'd personally like to hear that question at press conferences and in on-air interviews. Especially with that amount of gusto.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I did not like her apology. It was an offensive word. Period. Deal with it.

10. forever_town

It was either apologize or the suits would deem her unworthy even for that two-bit rag known as the Plain-Dealer.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Watch it pal. That's offensive, dammit.

She definitely had to apologize. I just didn't like the weasely wording.

12. forever_town

If we want to discuss the merits of her apology, I'd have to see the video of the apology and hear her tone of voice, but I've seen non-apology apologies (see Millen, Matt and Morton, Johnnie). This doesn't look like one based on the wording.

The part I latched onto wasn't "many people find offensive." The part I focused on was "I'm truly sorry." Most of the time, people who make non-apology apologies simply say, "I apologize" after mealy-mouthing their way to get to those two words.

Besides, the Plain-Dealer is a two-bit rag until it hires you. Then it's a first-rate publication. 8)

Draft saved Draft deleted