1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times Sued By Lobbyist (Yes, THAT Lobbyist)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Lobbyist sues the NY Times for beating around the bush and trying to imply something may have been going on.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081230/mccain_lobbyist_ny_times.html?.v=3

2. Great.
    Let's start the discovery process tomorrow.
    Whenever you're ready, Senator McCain.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This story was such a dumb move by the New York Times - having read it, it would have been just as strong, if not stronger, had they focused on McCain's ties to lobbyists instead of pursuing the "affair" angle. Instead, they have to deal with this kind of stupidity.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Why sue the New York Times? They're not worth anything.

5. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

As the owner of a couple of hundred shares of NYT stock that once traded near $50 per share, I've gotta admit - Hejira Henry's reply hurts.

Badly.

It also makes me wonder why I held onto this shit for so long. "What a stupid I am."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I really wouldn't want to be the editor who has to take the stand and get asked about how the Times has handled allegations of infidelity against other politicians.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Times won't have to blame the economy for more layoffs if they lose this case.

8. That was one of the weirdest-written stories in recent memory.

It's like someone (a lawyer?) decided, "We can't say they had an affair, but let's just imply it very strongly and everything will be great."

9. People here actually believe that McCain wants this lawsuit any more than the Times does?

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The truth is always a defense against a libel or defamation claim.

How was the article untruthful?

By the standards journalists impose upon themselves, perhaps it was in poor judgment to run it...

But in these cases you have to prove (1) falsehood and (2) malice.

Where's the falsehood?

Case dismissed at summary judgment.

11. For the record, I don't think they have to prove malice in cases involving people who aren't public figures.

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, obviously no problem there on the McCain side, and I'm wondering whether the lobbyist for a powerful industry would be considered one as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted