1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times: Sosa said to test positive in 2003

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Heck, if you're suspended, you shouldn't even be eligible. I know he won't play, I'm just shocked people are voting for him under the current conditions.

Spnited, the NFL has its own issues and the reason they hand out suspensions right and left for drugs is to keep the league from turning into the sordid mess MLB has become.

Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me much to read about a drug scandal in the NHL, either.

As for Sosa, if this is proven, void the records, keep him off any Hall of Fame ballots and let him go on with his life. The less we talk about players like this, the better.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Sosa is so damn likable that I'd still give him my vote.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No, the reason steroids have been more of a "sordid mess" in baseball is because of the game's disproportionate emphasis on individual statistics and the historical comparison of statistics. For whatever reasons, NFL fans really don't care much whether that offensive lineman has been juicing, it's easier to look the other way in football, and most football fans are content to do so. But baseball fans get all pissy and freaked out over the idea that a guy's numbers are fraudulent.

But it has nothing to do with differing prevalence. Steroids have been every bit as much or more prevalent in football as baseball, and for a longer period of time, we just don't hear about it as much.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Can we please stop with this garbage about voiding records? It will never happen. It should never happen. It is unnecessary and impractical. It is also unfair, unless you can somehow prove to me that every single person who used performance-enhancing drugs has been caught.

Oh, while you are at it, go get everybody who ever used a corked bat or scuffed a baseball, too. Get Gaylord Perry out of the Hall of Fame. Hell, weren't there some accusations that Babe Ruth used a corked bat? Toss him out too, then. (Hopefully, I don't need the blue font here).

The NFL has had every bit as much of a problem as baseball, if not worse They just started addressing it sooner. Big deal. Both had more than their share of abusers of performance-enhancing drugs. And baseball can't come close to matching the NFL when it comes to a shameful history of protecting the health of its athletes. Do a search with concussions and see what you come up with. Did anybody even blink this year when Troy Polamalu didn't even miss a game after his seventh concussion? And those are just the ones we know about since he started playing at USC.

I love both games, but they both have serious issues that require realistic solutions, not knee-jerk over-reactions.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Now with an new chapter.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OK,fine. True enough. NFL is officially on the shit list, too, now. It'll be fun finding more enjoyable stuff to do on autumn Sunday afternoons.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why will you stop watching? Is this shit just new to you?

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not new at all, sadly. It gets very, very, very old and tiring.

9. Buck up. Sports aren't pure because the men who play them aren't pure. They're flawed like the rest of us, and thus they make mistakes like the rest of us, often motivated by self-interest. This isn't new information, and it isn't going away.

This is like the people who are going to stop voting because politicians are crooked. They've been crooked since the first caveman took charge (or when Adam rode to his inauguration on his dinosaur, for all you fundies!) of the roost.

Human nature ain't going anywhere. All we can do is keep a watchful eye open.

Draft saved Draft deleted