1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times: Sosa said to test positive in 2003

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Re: Griffey, Thome & Pujols are sweating bullets: Sosa took PEDs

Franko was actually the 11th and last to die, although I agree Jefferson's death was the most poignant.

Maggot's death, meanwhile, was unintentional hilarity. And yet, still better than that of Jiminez, who died unseen in a tree from a broken neck - chute jump gone wrong - after director Robert Aldrich got tired of portrayer Trini Lopez's bullshit.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Duke LaCrosse story!!!!! [/cranberry] Oh wait. I mean, this is a witch hunt!

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

How many copies has the NY Times sold!?

OK, sorry.

But, seriously, what compels a government lawyer to leak this to the press? Is it just a desire to get the truth out there? Why now?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone else think it smells pretty bad that at least two lawyers leaked this info? Why risk disbarment for something like this?
    I'm not a Sosa defender, I figure he was already lumped in with the cheaters, which is why I don't understand the leak. Why just Sosa?

Wish the story had more than one "new" fact - the rest was boilerplate.

5. Re: Griffey, Thome & Pujols are sweating bullets: Sosa took PEDs

Because sometimes people love to talk - it just takes them a while to actually say it.

DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?
    YOU'RE GODDAMNED RIGHT I DID!!!

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone else think it smells pretty bad that at least two lawyers leaked this info? Why risk disbarment for something like this?
    I'm not a Sosa defender, I figure he was already lumped in with the cheaters, which is why I don't understand the leak. Why just Sosa?

Wish the story had more than one "new" fact - the rest was boilerplate.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Yeah, why not just go ahead and "leak" all of them. Get it out of the way. It seems odd to just leak Sosa's name.

Plus, I just want the full list for selfish, curious reasons.

8. Re: Griffey, Thome & Pujols are sweating bullets: Sosa took PEDs

Hard to say unless you know how the "leak" went down. It's not always as simple as leaker picks up the phone and says, "Pssssst ... meet me in the parking garage."

The reporter was probably negotiating for a name for weeks. Maybe months. "Come on, dude, you gave SI A-Rod. I know you did. Give me one name - one. And all is forgiven. You owe me that shit."

That's how that kind of stuff typically goes down. It's messier than just being a straight-up calculated leak.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Why leak someone who doesn't play anymore? If there are other current players on that list, release them instead of guys who no longer play.

10. Re: Griffey, Thome & Pujols are sweating bullets: Sosa took PEDs

Because no one gives a shit about Pablo Ozuna.

You could argue that a retired player like Sosa takes on more urgency because of the HOF implications, since his clock is running now. I suspect that his official retirement probably had something to do with setting in motion events that led to the leak today.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But you just know there had to be some other high-profile current athlete -- Pujols or whomever -- on that list.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A-Rod is too much of a wuss to sue to find the leakers. Maybe Sammy isn't. He's got nothing but time, and plenty of money for the discovery process.
    He's got grounds for big damages, too-violation of contractually agreed privacy rights.
    Otherwise, who cares? Only the baseball moralists, a sad breed.

Draft saved Draft deleted