1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times Publishes Op-Ed Authored by Gitmo Detainee

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Apr 15, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Samir Naji al Hasan Moqbel is described by the Times simply as "a prisoner at Guantánamo Bay".

And, his containment is all a mix-up, worthy of a Three's Company episode:

But, of course, the Times knows there is more to the story:

http://projects.nytimes.com/guantanamo/detainees/43-samir-naji-al-hasan-moqbel

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. YankeeFan

To paraphrase dooley, there's no constitutional right to a Times Op-Ed. It's the news outlet's choice.

And yet, this guy did get a Times Op-Ed.

This is a victim the Times wants me to sympathize with? This guy is who they want to humanize -- without telling the whole story?

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Gitmo is still open?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily find it unethical or poor form to withold, essentially, bad facts from a persuasive piece of writing, though it straddles the line, for sure, depending on the circumstances and the fact. I know you do, and it's definitely fair criticism and worth of further discussion.

But I'll limit my own criticism to this: Whether or not it's ethical or deceptive, it's stupid, in 2013, when that information is going to be unearthed by somebody.

I recall the scene in "8 Mile," when Rabbit addressed and owned all the potential criticisms of him before the other rapper took the stage.

Or, also, every effective debate. Ever.

6. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Unbelievable. He's been there 11 years, from his account is a decent guy and yet, is still there. Wow.

7. You're a decent guy in your own mind too, right?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Story has the quality of that Woody Allen movie Bananas where Woody gets involved with a
    South American revolutionary group or perhaps Monty Python's Life Of Bryan.

9. YankeeFan

How about a modern day Hogan's Heroes?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or a Peter Sellers movie. This guy comes off as some hapless sap that becomes a victim of circumstances and got caught up in extreme group. Perfect roll for Woody Allen / Peter Sellers . Al Quaeda probably thought he was a screw up and wanted to get rid of him so they set him up.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

But not much more, if you read all the way through.

If this guy's such a strategic badass, maybe we should have charged him with something by now.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I thought Gitmo closed four years ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted