1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times newsroom walks out in protest

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

About 400 NY Times newsroom employees walked out in protest during negotiations with management over a new contract. They had taken a paycut and had overtime cut in the last contract in 2008.

http://observer.com/2012/10/update-disgruntled-new-york-times-union-members-unleash-a-sidewalk-protest/

Glad to see there's at least one newsroom that's at least symbolically not just letting management walk over them.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Wasn't the symbolism of a byline strike effective? Darn.

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I sympathize but I can't imagine they have any leverage at all.

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Increased OT....what's that?

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

As the crowd reassembled outside the north entrance to Times headquarters, union organizers such as columnists Jim Dwyer and Michael Powell gave interviews to camera crews and reporters from other organizations that had descended on the scene, hoping for something dramatic like rock-throwing or a chant.

Rock-throwing? From the NYT newsies? ... Nice try, Observer.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The New York Times illustrating journalists' fight for financial survival is like the town recognizing the high school has a drug problem only when the attractive white cheerleader ODs.

7. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

The union probably has a tiny bit, if only higher ups want to avoid embarrassing pauses in the conversation next summer in the Hamptons.

8. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

Just so you know, I'm stealing this line.

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

I know I should be sympathetic, but it's a little bit hard to reconcile their longstanding arrogance with some kind of "appeal to the masses" (few of whom subscribe).

P.S., absolutely love the "Believe Us" stickers. LOL.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

This may not end well.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The owners walked out of negotiations today as a response to the Guild walkout of the newsroom on Monday.
    http://www.nyguild.org/ny-times-news-details/items/times-publisher-to-guild-members-i-dont-care.html

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I appreciate the steps. I applaud their fight.

But seriously, folks, I've had one raise in five years.

Draft saved Draft deleted