1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times "Feel Good" Jets Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Boom, you do not try to sell a Cadillac to someone who is in the market for a Honda Civic. Neither do you try to turn the Cadillac into a Honda Civic because then your most likely customers will buy a Lincoln since the new Cadillac you would be making for Civic customers is no longer the Cadillac that Cadillac customers want.

Why don't you stick to something you know, which would be ... what?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Frank I am one of your worst nightmares - a reader who actually takes the time to read the crap that you guys turn out.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As for the technique, it is the commonly used and praised one of taking a scene that is told to you and conveying the emotion of it by making it a narrative. No problem with it at all, as long as it's not pulled out of thin air. As for whether the story is newsy enough, that's up to the reader of it to judge.

4. Boom_70

Since I was a critic last week I feel compelled to point out the solid story that Karen did this week on Chad Pennington. It read like a football story and not something that I would expect to see in styles.

Good meaty stuff for hard core fans providing some insight into a QB's head.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/12/sports/football/12jets.html?_r=1&n=Top%2fNews%2fSports%2fPro%20Football%2fNational%20Football%20League%2fNew%20York%20Jets&oref=slogi

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

She does have a thing for this Elmo stuff though Boom. I'm starting to think Elmo is the Jets unofficial mascot or something.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/19/sports/football/19jets.html

[​IMG]

6. Boom_70

I think she is torn between Chad Pennington and Elmo.

We've come a long way from when Richard Todd shoved Steve Serby into his locker.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

sadly, the way karen covers the beat makes it way too obvious she's a woman. she's a fine writer who's an awful read for real leatherheads. to me, in an ideal world, you shouldn't be able to tell if the reporter is a man or a woman, african-american or caucasian, etc. but all-too often, a karen crouse-jets story makes it all-too clear what her gender is.

let the rips come, hypocrite man. but it's true. geez, this past sunday, her pre-game story before a pretty important game was a feature on rick lyle being the food taster for the team on road trips. as bill parcells would say, karen is soft, like carvel. :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Boom_70

Frank Ridgeway is going to blow a gasket when he see's your post.

I could not agree more.

Contrast her work that of say Lisa Olsen or Jackie Mac - other than seeing their pictures you would have no idea of their gender.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

selena roberts, too. heck, on the same jets beat, judy battista did a terrific job without going all girlie on the readers.

10. Boom_70

This season reading about the Jets I feel like I've been reading the Ladies Home Journal.

11. Shockey: Your post is just about the most sexist fucking piece of shit I have seen on this board and that is saying something. Congratulations.

You are not far behind Boom.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

thank you for not disappointing, hypo. happy holidays to you, too. ;D ;D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted