1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times "Feel Good" Jets Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Boom_70, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that would be about right if you looked at the NYT's metro circulation compared with the population, ignoring the national circulation. Not for everyone. Doesn't try to be. I think we all could learn something from that about knowing our audience instead of, as most papers do, incorrectly assessing the readers as being dumber than the people putting out the paper.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

You're right, it was a cheap shot. However, I think you are missing my point that you probably aren't the NYT's target audience. You manage to read the Daily News enough to go on periodic Lupica ripfests. You also read the NYT. Probably the Post and/or Newsday, too. I don't think the typical Times customer cares that much about sports to read at least two sports sections a day. They read one. They like that one just fine. They don't consider it lacking like you do because their needs are different than yours. The section is fine for the target audience.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The New York Times: All the News You Just Wouldn't Understand

(and ps to Frank, you can just take my word for it or not, but if Boom isn't the target audience for the Times, they should close up shop today. You seem to be making a strange assumption that people who care about sports are a distinct population that isn't simultaneously affluent, well-read, and interested in business or politics as well. Not sure I understand the basis for your argument.)

5. Frank_Ridgeway

I think most of the people outside the Times' audience can tell that with one glance at A-1.

For the rest of the paper, maybe he is, I don't know. But I don't think he is who they have in mind for the sports section. I doubt they see their typical sports reader as someone obsessive enough about sports that he reads multiple sports sections each day and makes 11,000 posts on a sports journalists message board even though he isn't a sports journalist. They may well see their typical A-section reader as someone who also reads the WSJ, WP, LAT, but I don't think that's the case for their sports readers, who view sports as a mere diversion, not a focal point of their existence.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

7. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Olney was great because he understood that the game and its inner-workings, which so many of us shun in the interest of "human interest," was human interest in itself. "Last Night of the Yankee Dynasty" is a great example of this - John Feinstein gets this, too, though that's not the NYT.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Boom, don't worry too much, Rhoden won't let Eric Mangini get too much credit. In Rhoden's myopic little world, every good thing Mangini does is a slight towards Herm. In fact, the reason Mangini won't get more national press or votes for COY, is that the media won't rub it in how much Edwards sucked with Jets.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

I've talked jobs with the NYT the past few years, and from my view Frank seems right about the paper's approach to sports. Each story in the paper is (overly?) edited, and the tone is of balance and good writing, not hard-score energy or AP-like graf-quote-setup-quote sameness. With all the other venues for fantasy breakdowns and small-picture details, this might be the way to go for a learned (and receptive) audience.

10. Boom_70

Is there something wrong with the fact that I might read 3 or 4 newspapers a day? Have you heard of the internet ? You can even read more newspapers than 3 or 4 on a daily basis. There is a web sight called Sports Pages.com where you can reads lots of stories from all over the country.

Is the Times Jet target audience different from that of the Giants because they cover team in 2 different ways?

Should I stop reading The Times?

When did The Times decide that their readers wanted touchy feely sports coverage?

It strange in the days of lost circulation that the Times would not want to find ways to Broaden its target audience.

11. Frank_Ridgeway

Me think Times know it lose likely readers if try reach everyone. Me think big mistake most newspapers make, seek lowest common thermometer.

12. Boom_70

Folks if you want to know why the newspaper business is in the tank just looks towards your insightful leaders like Frank Ridgeway. Its thinking like Frank's that has put you there.

Draft saved Draft deleted