1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times exodus to SI continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

If db, I apologize...

From SportsBusinessDaily.com, via Newsday...

One of my favorite reasons to read the NY Times is apparently exiting stage left...

N.Y. Times columnist Selena Roberts is reportedly leaving the paper for SI, which recently lost columnist Rick Reilly to ESPN. ESPN was also “interested in landing Roberts.” Former N.Y. Times writers Damon Hack and Lee Jenkins also were recently hired by SI.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/printer.htm

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

WOW. Who next, Richard Sandomir?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The highlight of that link is the Angie Harmon pic.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hear she talked to ESPN, too. My guess is ka-ching.
    Good for her.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

oh my god, all newspapers are going to die because of magazines! magazines!

6. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

So does this mean NYT promotes Karen Crouse to columnist?

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

AARRGGHH!!

but that makes sense.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Boom can't figure out why he all of a sudden fainted.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've been really impressed with the work being done by SI's newbies. Lee Jenkins and Jim Trotter's stories on the practice squad and the bit on how teams decide who plays on special teams really gives SI's coverage a dimension on the NFL that has been missing. Hack's piece on crappy NFL qb play was also a good shot. I think the mag become overly involved in covering the personalities of the NFL when Silver was there and is doing a better job at providing an overall perspective of the league.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Good for her, bad for her, bad for The Times.
    With the style and content of Ms Roberts columns, she has an interesting and unique position at The Times. She has a readership at The Times that, I think, appreciates her approach and angle on stories. I don't think that reader is generally at SI. She'll make more money, and that's important, very important. She won't be on SportsReporters anymore and her voice won't have the reverberations that bveing at The Times conveys.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

So is Roberts getting the back column? And was there some story behind the story about SI's NFL coverage upheaval? Chadhia and Silver both gone. Did they get a new senior editor for the NFL?

12. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

No. She's going to be part of the rotation that they will be implementing for the backpage. The salary is mind-blowing.

Draft saved Draft deleted