1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times' Brooks and Collins on online education

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, May 9, 2012.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Interesting back and forth going on.

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/college-dot-com/?hp

This is the money quote for me, even though it was buried at the bottom of the blog entry.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Brooks is wild about the idea of online education. He sees it as, among other things, a potential U.S. export to the rest of the world. It will be interesting to see if he's proven right eventually.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Skeptical online education will be adopted. Education in this country isn't about learning. It's about signaling.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Free online course on the US Constitution: http://constitution.hillsdale.edu/

5. Dick Whitman

This is a great point. It's meant to be an obstacle course to separate the wheat from the chaff just as much as it's meant to actually educate.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

It serves a coordination function, too. Often just getting in to a school provides the signal. Look at law schools. Employers don't hire from Yale Law because it provides the best education. They hire from Yale because it provides the best students. Diploma is a just a really expensive way of getting all the smart kids agree to spend three years in the same place.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

So many classes (such as chemistry, engineering, physics) are particularly ill-suited for online ed.

9. Dick Whitman

Because they are hands on?

Seems to me like some humanities, particularly philosophy, would be tough, too, because at the heart of understanding it is getting viewpoints and arguments challenged ferociously.

10. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Yes, DW. I would think a lit course might be best for online.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've taken three online classes as part of my political science master's program. There is an online live lecture component where the professor has a video feed of him lecturing in his office, and we can either audibly ask questions or type them in. I have another class at the same time, so I have to stream the lecture afterwards.

No one asks questions or clarifies a point. It does make learning a bit more challenging, especially from other students who are just looking for a grade and do not want to learn the finer points of international relations theory or international security.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If the purpose of college is credentialing for future economic gain, and it pretty much is, then online higher education is doomed. No parent's paying $70K a year to get little Suzie a degree from online Harvard.

Draft saved Draft deleted