1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Times: At ESPN, Play-by-Play Goes Virtual

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by derwood, Sep 5, 2008.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/05/business/media/05espn.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

LOS ANGELES — ESPN, the cable powerhouse that calls itself “Worldwide Leader in Sports,” is looking to extend its domain in virtual worlds by merging video game graphics with real-life sports anchors.

A monitor at ESPN’s studios displays Merril Hoge’s image inserted into the computer-generated images of football players, showing what home viewers would see.

The network, which is owned by the Walt Disney Company, has spent the last year working on a new technology with Electronic Arts, the leading game publisher, that would allow ESPN commentators to interact live with realistic-looking, three-dimensional virtual players as they pontificate about coming matches during broadcasts.

“It’s a way for us to remain relevant,” said John Skipper, ESPN’s executive vice president for content. “We want to make sure we remain connected to lots and lots of fans, and using the language that gamers understand is one way.”

Kill this network.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm all for this.

But only if it means the pregame crew will quit doing that idiotic segment where they take off their suit coats and go to the "field" to run plays or show techniques.

4. If this is anything like the stupid video-game inspired graphics that FOX did for NASCAR, kill me now.

I like how the story says it will allow them to illustrate what would have happened had Peyton Manning threw left instead of right. He didn't throw right, so the rest is all speculation.

Here's an idea to "remain relevant" give people scores and insight, stop blurring the line between entertainment and information, stop promoting every segment with an advertiser, stop dragging dead horses out as fresh stories, stop trying to be clever all the time

5. silentbob

silentbob Member

I imagine those at ESPN get a good laugh from the newspaper types on spj.com who are constantly bashing the network. One is at a place where they are constantly trying things to stay relevant. The other is at a place where relevancy is a battle on a daily basis.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One actually covers sports; the other focuses more on promoting its "brand."

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Vince Doria apologized and said it should never happen again.

Draft saved Draft deleted