1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY SJ -- housing help for my brother

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by amraeder, Feb 25, 2011.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So, my brother has a job offer in New York and he's intimidated by the prospect of moving there. He'll be making just over 100K a year (if he takes the job), and has no real idea what type of apartment he can manage for that. He'd be working for a company in Manhattan (I think he said they're at 18th and Park) and he'd like to be within a 30-minute subway ride, if possible.

Any suggestions on what parts of the city he should look in? What places should he avoid? What might he be able to afford?

We've been good Midwestern boys our whole lives, so we don't know jack about NYC. Any help is appreciated.

Obviously if you have questions for him, it might take me a bit to track him down for answers, so be patient and keep checking back.

Thanks!

2. amraeder

I'll add that any advice at all for my brother about moving to NYC would be greatly appreciated.

3. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Member

Move to Park Slope in Brooklyn - safe neighborhood, lots of good neighborhood bars and apartments are more affordable and are a better value for the money. You aren't living in a shoebox. Unless he really wants the glamour new york life style - clubs, lounges, etc. Then Park Slope is not the place. It's more of a neighborhood restaurant/bar scene. Prospect Park is right nearby and it's just as good if not better than Central Park.

4. amraeder

Cool, thanks.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

fwiw, i'll second that. i lived in the slope for six years. loved everything about it. an 'f' train entrance was two houses down. it's less than 30 minutes into manhattan; if he's working in 'the city,' he can take full advantage of the night-life after work then just be a short train-ride from home -- for far less rent or co-op price. the slope certainly isn't cheap, by any outside-of-n.y. standards, but you can certainly find a very nice, 'affordable' pad for the same price a closet would cost him in manhattan...

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

While respecting other previous viewpoints as worthwhile advice if you are thinking longterm, I'll offer a dissenting one. I saw this as a temporary life experience and went whole-hog, wanting to experience the whole shebang. Lived smack in the middle of Midtown for a year on a newspaper salary (with two roommates). Lived for a couple of years on Upper East Side with future wife (and we were making roughly equal money). Finding something you can afford takes major effort. Would never live there again -- at time thoroughly hated being right in the middle of Midtown and at times hated even the reduced congestion uptown -- but do not regret it at all. If you are gonna do it, don't do it halfway, go for it. At least for a year or two.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Inwood. Northern Manhattan, great parks, relatively cheap housing. We live here on quite a bit less than your brother is making and have a nice apartment. For that money, he could get a great place up here. And it's a bit of a booming neighborhood, lot of really cool restaurants opening, and, since he's a fellow native Midwesterner, tell him there's a Target right across the bridge. We're right next to the A train and 1 train, both of which take you down the West side of Manhattan. Would be a transfer to 18 and Park but not a bad commute.

A while back Nate Silver did a comprehensive (of course) breakdown of pretty much every neighborhood in the city. A lot of great info here for your brother if he really wants to research the different areas.

http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65374/

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Y'all beat me to it.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

interesting takes here: for folks who are experiencing nyc for the first time, like frank was, there is absolutely a segment which thinks, 'what the heck, for as long as i do this, why not go all in?'

well, there are many reasons why not, but you have to experience it for yourself often to get it out of your system. and if having multiple roommates is fine by you -- and for most youngin's right out of school this is no problem; they're almost always coming from a place where they had roommates -- by all means, go for it.

but in the case we're discussing here, with the subject earning more than 100k, i wouldn't think having roommates is appealing. or necessary.

there is no doubt, though, that non-new yawkas often are of a mind to live in 'the city.' but lifelong boro folk understand what many outsiders figure out eventually -- unless you're making HUGE bucks, it makes little sense to live in manhattan when there are so many lovely, more affordable, neighboring areas just a 20-30-minute subway ride away.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You can do Manhattan -- studio or one bedroom -- on 100K. You won't be living like a king, but you can get your rent to $2K a month easily, especially now. Upper East Side is a bit depressed. It's not my favorite neighborhood, but there are young pockets b/c of the rental prices and there are bars. And it's a hop on the 4 or 5 to Union Square to get to where he's working. It's the difference perhaps between a 10 minute commute and more than a half hour from Park Slope.

I'm with Frank on this. At least experience Manhattan, especially because you don't even know if you will settle down there. Sure, there are young people who choose Park Slope. But it's mostly the place (maybe it wasn't this when Shockey lived there years ago) where couples in their 30s go when they have gotten Manhattan out of their system, want to raise young kids and don't want to hit the Burbs.

Brooklyn is great right now. Williamsburg is thriving with 20-somethings piled into apartments trying to economize. If you want a bit nicer, and less hipster, I'd even choose Cobble Hill over Park Slope. Just closer to Manhattan. And if you can afford it, and he can on $100K, just won't live very large, I'd consider DUMBO or Brooklyn Heights. It's a skip over the bridge, one subway stop from Manhattan and it is maybe 15 minutes to work because of all the subway lines that converge. And it's prettier.

That said, I just wouldn't do it, unless it is really what appeals to you. I think you should do the Manhattan thing. For me it was West Village, which would be a great choice for where he works. Young, different, fun and depending on exactly where he ends up (if near Washington Square), he can even walk to work.

Just my 2 cents.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

sounds like you've got a much better handle than i do on the slope and other brooklyn 'hoods these days, ragu. it's been 22 years since i left brooklyn's 9th street/7th avenue for the 'burbs. back then i would've loved a place in bklyn heights but it was almost manhattan-expensive.

there is so much to be weighed in this decision. is the brother seeking to buy or rent? if he still needs to be building his savings for a down-payment, one of the boros might better enable him to add to the savings... bottom line is i'm relieved it's not a decision i'll be faced with again. one go-round through my 20's and decisions like these was enough!

Draft saved Draft deleted