1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Post World Series Coverage

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator_Hawks, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

What is up with the NY Post's WS content? Front page with an opposing player in drag (obviously a doctored photo)... then two articles BOTH with THREE bylines which have ZERO journalistic merit.

Sub head from one story about Philly = Their fans are second-rate & so is their city

From that story = Living up to their second-class billing going into the start of the Fall Classic tomorrow, the Phils arrived in New York yesterday -- by train.

--

Another story written just to bash the Phillie Phanatic (one of the beloved mascots in sports)

This story has 8 graphs (including 2 quotes) and took 3 staff writers???....

The Phanatic's lame shtick consists mostly of stomping on objects and attempting to hex opponents. If he succeeds, it's because opposing players wonder if someone slipped LSD in their Gatorade.

The Yankees, like most winning teams in baseball, have no mascot.

--

Before people start saying they're just having fun and getting people excited about the series and selling papers -- I GET THAT!

The problem is that they are still a daily newspaper and should follow some sort of journalistic standards.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's the New York Post. When you are a bottom-feeding tabloid you need to make sure no one gets beneath you.

3. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

I see a theme developing. It's the Post.

I know, but as Sir Charles would say, this is just tuuurrrible.

4. 1980s Post headline: "Headless Body in Topless Bar."
    No more witnesses, your honor.

5. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Ditto.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Post editions was from around 1991 or 92 when Abe Hirschfeld bought the paper. The staff devoted an entire paper to editorials and columns ripping the hell out of Hirschfeld.

Their front page also had an illustration of Alexander Hamilton with a tear in his eye.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

This is the same paper that literally had an asterisk in the football standings by the Patriots during the 2007 season. It's often a disgraceful paper, but they do have some fun with their sports coverage, which isn't the biggest sin in the world.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

It is different, if anything. Just low-class, unprofessional different.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Three days last week I bought the New York Times and didn't get a comics section.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Lighten up. It's the most entertaining daily read in the country

11. Gator_Hawks

Gator_Hawks Member

It's also the most pathetic.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Sports are fun. The Post has fun.

I love that paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted