1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Post runs pixelated photo of alleged NYPD rape victim

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Tucsondriver, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Very saddening. The photo probably pixilates in print enough to make her face indiscernible, but about 5 feet away from my screen you can see some of her features. Even if it didn't, it still sucks. Has a mainstream paper ever done anything like this, or maybe the better question would be is the Post still a mainstream paper?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/am_devastated_and_disappointed_kZJ6fx9RuYBFYVKfFthGrN

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Re: NY Post runs pixilated photo of alleged NYPD rape victim

that stinks...I'm a West Coaster, so a bit removed, but I consider the Post a tabloid.

3. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Wow, that's not OK in my book. Her face is pixilated out, but other things (hair color, clothing, skin tone, height, weight) are clear. A random stranger may not be able to identify her, but anyone close to her now knows she's accusing police of rape. Not OK at all.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

a) let me go on record agreeing that the post is WAY out of bounds here, ever for them;

b) my concern wouldn't be that 'anyone close to her' would know it's her suing the nypd; anyone 'close to her' certainly already knows that. it's the folks who know her but AREN'T close to her who are the ones i'd be most concerned about. strangers who don't know who aren't apt to recognize her from this photo when they meet her in the future.

but any way you slice it a scumbag move by a scumbag newspaper (and, yes, the post is a newspaper -- a newspaper for bottom-feeders, perhaps, but a newspaper).

5. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I work in another Dow Jones shop and even we mock the Post.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

So we're agreeing on this but debating the finer points. I think that a rape victim should't have to state that fact to everyone in his or her life. This includes co-workers, neighbors and many people who could easily recognize her wardrobe. I think that's more important than random strangers.

7. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I hadn't fully thought through all the negative implications for the rape victim when I posted. I just reacted in shock and horror, really. There are probably other reasons this stinks that we haven't even thought of. Who the fuck at the NY Post thought this was a good idea?

Draft saved Draft deleted