1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Post (and AP) release All-Star starters

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JBHawkEye, Jul 5, 2008.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

From AP:

Report: Rodriguez, Ramirez highlight AL All-Stars
    NEW YORK (AP) — Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez will highlight an American League All-Star team loaded with Yankees and Red Sox, according to a report on the New York Post’s Web site.
    Balloting for the All-Star game ended Wednesday and the official results will be announced Sunday. All starters mentioned in the report led in fan voting as of June 30.
    The Yankees’ Rodriguez will start at third base and Derek Jeter at shortstop for the American League, according to the Post. Defending champion Boston’s starters will include Kevin Youkilis at first, Dustin Pedroia at second and Manny Ramirez in left field.
    Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz also got the most votes at his position, but won’t play because of a wrist injury.
    Cliff Lee, who had to fight for a job in Cleveland’s rotation this spring, will be the starting pitcher for the AL, the Post reported. Lee is 11-1 with a 2.26 ERA.
    He’ll go against Arizona’s Brandon Webb, who will be playing in his third consecutive All-Star game and getting his first starting assignment.
    Also starting for the American League: Seattle’s Ichiro Suzuki in center, Texas’ Josh Hamilton in right and Minnesota’s Joe Mauer behind the plate.
    Suzuki was barely leading the Angels’ Vladimir Guerrero and Yankees’ Bobby Abreu for the final outfield spot in the voting as of June 30.
    Houston’s Lance Berkman will start at first for the National League. Philadelphia’s Chase Utley got the nod at second, Atlanta’s Chipper Jones will play third and Florida’s Hanley Ramirez narrowly beat out Miguel Tejada of the Astros at shortstop.
    The outfield will consist of Alfonso Soriano of the Cubs in left, teammate Kosuke Fukudome in center and Cincinnati’s Ken Griffey Jr. in right. The Cubs’ Geovany Soto will be the starting catcher.
    Boston’s Terry Francona will manage the AL and Colorado’s Clint Hurdle the NL. Each manager chooses his pitching staffs and reserves.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

And I meant to put this in Sports and News, so yes, I'm full of fail.

3. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Good to see my streak of six straight years of not watching the all-star game will make it to at least seven.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

But it counts this time!

5. schiezainc

I'm a Seattle Mariner fan. This all-star game will have no direct effect on me because the chances of the Mariners making the playoffs, let alone the WS, are about as high as getting struck by lightning three days in a row .

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Brandon Webb? He's been terrible for a month.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That NL outfield couldn't even start for the Tigers.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

If this is your reasoning, you will never, ever have to watch another All-Star Game. Hell, you shouldn't have watched the 2001 All-Star Game.

9. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I'm calling bullshit on the starting pitchers, unless this is a change for this year.

The starters have never been named this soon, to my knowledge, because of how the rotations shake out. Lee starts Sunday and is on schedule for the first game after the break. There's no guarantee the Indians want him going two innings in New York.

And Webb, who will start the D-Backs' last game before the break and very likely would be unavailable for the NL, over Tim Lincecum?

"Each manager chooses his pitching staffs and reserves." What, we're back to the pre-2003 system where the skippers fill out the roster? What happened to the players' votes and all?

10. schiezainc

In 2001, they had a damn good shot of winning the AL. And yes, with the way it looks that will be the case until at least 2012.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

No Game 6! No Game 6! No Game 6!

Draft saved Draft deleted