1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY police officers acquitted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.comcast.net/news/articles/national/2008/02/23/Police.Shooting/

I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, as the judge did, but 50 shots, 31 from one officer?

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I was surprised that there wasn't a thread about this earlier. However, as recent discussions of race have not gone well around here, I wasn't in a big hurry to start one. This is a disturbing case, but I don't have an opinion on it, as I haven't researched it. Anyone with an informed take, I'd be interested to hear it.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I don't think this has anything to do with race. Two blacks cops and one white cop unloaded 50 shots into a group of unarmed men.
    In my opinion, what shows the character of these officers, is during their press conference, only one of them apologized to the damn family. that's messed up.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Gee, why isn't Al Sharpton threatening riots tonight?

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I didn't hear one word of testimony, so I'm unable to say anything about the verdict. 50 shots, however, require one hell of a story. I applaud everyone who's kept their sanity; sounds like that was a difficult thing to do.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://brucespringsteen.net/songs/AmericanSkin.html

7. Different case, ESJ.
    That song's about Amadou Diallo.
    Does this happen in Bay Ridge or Howard Beach?
    No, it doesn't.
    It's about race.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I'm gonna disagree. It's about inexperienced officers who have minimal time to guess what to do, and fail miserably.
    2 of 3 officers are black, no?

9. So what?
    Cops in New York opened fire because the target person was black.
    50 shots?
    Reloading the gun?
    At an unarmed guy in the middle of the street?
    This does not happen to white people.
    At all.
    It's about race.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

So the race of the victim matters but the race of the cops doesn't?

11. OK, very slowly.
    Yes, as a matter of fact, in this case, I believe it does.
    Because the ACT of killing this man -- hell, the ACT of opening up 50 shots on a city street in these circumstances -- was a racist ACT. Mostly for the reasons I said, which is that there is a fundamental institutional racism regarding the relative worth of a black human life compared to a white one, and regarding the relative worth of a human life in one neighborhod, but not in another. It doesn't matter what color the cop is. The racism is in the underlying cultural and societal context within which the act took place, and within the institution of an armed police force that sees this act as justified -- I believe -- by that same context.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Disagree. Strongly.

Draft saved Draft deleted