1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY-P League to Morgantown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thought I remember hearing somewhere that State College might be the city losing its team ... that the Pirates would move their rookie club to Morgantown

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

True.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Vermont came close to losing its franchise because its ballpark is over 100 years old. An agreement was finally reached last year on millions of dollars worth of renovations and the team signed a 20-year lease.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That would make sense geographically for Pittsburgh, but AA Altoona's right down the road from SC and I thought the Spikes were still drawing.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I remember what it was now ... Cardinals taking over State College, Pirates moving to Jamestown for now, ultimately to be in Morgantown in 2015.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If Jamestown leaves, then somebody will eventually cherry-pick Batavia for a better market. There's been talk of Binghamton losing its Eastern League franchise, and Albany/Troy/Schenectady would be a good short-A market. There has to be an existing stadium or maybe somebody could partner with SUNY-Albany for a stadium like WVU and Penn State and Nebraska have done.

7. The Tri-City ValleyCats would likely object to a New York-Penn League team in Albany.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

OK, my bad. I had no idea who the Tri-City Valley Cats were, or where they played. That's why I hate regional nicknames, even this native of New York State had no idea WTF the "Tri-Cities" of my home state were because in all they years I lived there I never once heard that reference.

I also had no idea where the Mahoning Valley Scrappers were located. If you play in Youngstown, call yourself the Youngstown Scrappers.

But I did say that Albany would be a good market for a NYPL franchise. ;D I think they should be called the "Fxxkheads," because all I ever heard growing up in WNY was talk about "those fxxkheads in Albany."

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They're technically in Niles, Ohio, so it wouldn't make much sense to call them Youngstown. Plus, they want to draw from the whole region, not just one city.

And the Mets are staying in Binghamton for at least four more years:

http://www.wbng.com/sports/B-Mets-Staying-Through-2016-168086996.html

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, West Virginia students are still trying to decide if this news is burn-worthy.

Draft saved Draft deleted