1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Mag story: Tide becomes currency for drugs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I think laundry detergent is one of those things that you get what you pay for.

We tried switching over the summer and noticed how quickly our clothes were fading. Full disclosure though -- I have to get the free and clear stuff because I'm allergic to everything. Not sure if it had anything to do with it, but we switched back to Tide pretty quick.

I'm a pretty good bargain hunter but I will not sacrifice laundry detergent. Just not worth it. That and quality shampoo/conditioner.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Maybe Proctor & Gamble is in association with Satan. The quote from P&G's marketing director ...

“It’s unfortunate that people are stealing Tide, and I don’t think it’s appropriate at all, but the one thing it reminds me of is that the value of the brand has stayed consistent,” says Raman, the marketing director.

Ride on crack and methheads! You have P&G's blessing to steal their shit because it shows the strength of the brand!

(Fascinating story, by the way)

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Roll Tide.

[​IMG]

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Tide is one of only a few brands that I am completely loyal to, along with Bounty paper towels, Charmain, Right Guard Sports deodorant, the brand of cologne that I use and maybe Gillette Fusion razors.

I don't think that I can remember using another brand other than Tide in my adult life.

5. Put Tide in a store-brand box or bottle, and I'm guessing consumers would think it's crud. Put store-bought detergent in a Tide box or bottle, and consumers would think it's the greatest detergent ever.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. (At least for a while.) That's branding.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Sounds like me. I always used Tide, bought something cheap instead once, broke out. Went on steroids for a week. Went back to Tide and haven't looked back.

Tide and Heinz ketchup are two things I'm most brand loyal with.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just don't see the need for Oxy Clean in a civilized society.

9. joe

joe Active Member

I grew up in a Tide household, but I haven't used it in more than 20 years. The only thing I'm brand loyal to is Jif peanut butter.

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I've proclaimed my love for Tide on the Random Thoughts thread. (Tide-flavored lollipop)

I actually don't know or care if it cleans better. It smells better. And the Tide scent stays on clothes longer than Gain and Sun and the myriad other brands of detergent I've tried.

11. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

When new products were introduced in Morocco and therefore had no name in Arabic, usually, the Moroccan Arabic word would up being some bastardization of the biggest brand name.

soda - koka
    yogurt - dannon
    laundry soap - tid

I still call it that.

Draft saved Draft deleted