1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Mag story: Tide becomes currency for drugs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Bizarre but entertaining (and nicely timed for SEO purposes with people Googling Tide) New York Magazine story:

Basically, it's a case study of why Tide is so popular, but also how it's become a target for thieves who exchange it for crack and cocaine.

http://nymag.com/news/features/tide-detergent-drugs-2013-1/

2. Waiting on the NY Post story about buying Tide with an EBT card.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If we ban Tide, only outlaws will have clean clothes.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Had no idea crack users were such neat freaks.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So you can have 150 ounces of detergent, but only 16 ounces of soda?

Fucking Bloomberg.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Great product, great branding:

7. How much better is it at cleaning clothes than All?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't know, but it does a good job, and is perceived as a better product.

That's branding.

Their NASCAR sponsorship alone is responsible for a ton of brand loyalty. P&G does an incredible job of marketing its products, and Tide is the best example of it.

P&G has also served as a training ground for some of the top marketers in the country. They have a ton of brands, and lot of folks have passed through Cincinnati early in their career.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

After years of being brand loyal to Tide, last January, I bought some cheaper brand - Arm & Hammer or Gain, I think. I developed a major allergic reaction that affected my eyes and the skin around them pretty badly. After 3 doctor's visits and an expensive steroid cream for the skin under my eyes, I will never buy anything but Tide again.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Think I'll hit the strip club and make it suds.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dyno's story is one I've heard from so many Tide junkies over the years. They tried to kick it, but the side affects were brutal. All in the game.

12. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I frequently rail about the notion that people over a certain age are brand-locked. I routinely try new products. I'll buy something different if the price is better.

I automatically buy Tide. I'd love to read an analysis of how they've pulled that off.

Draft saved Draft deleted