1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Gov prostitution ring - Non douchebag version

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Write-brained, Mar 11, 2008.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Monica Lewinsky would have done him for cab fare and dinner. Whoops, that'd be more than $4,300. Sorry.

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

True story: On page 71 of the affadavit, it's revealed that when she was on all fours, he'd yell "Let's do some good" and slam through her meat doors.

3. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Well, much like Eliot, my time is up. Good night, Dems.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

This thread will not end well and will be locked before too long.

But Big Dog's limerick was hilarious!

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

why will the thread be locked? because bigdog went off his meds and started a conversation with himself?

near as i can tell he's an idiot, but i don't think that's against the rules.

6. Now that it's been a day, and Eliot Spitzer is both a hypocrite and a Democrat, it's time for me to point out a) that the Mann Act is anachronistic bullshit, and b) that I don't trust the Bush DOJ as far as I can throw it.
    This guy agrees.
    http://harpers.org/archive/2008/03/hbc-90002589

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, but it does prove a certain lie often told on this board.

And really, I think he has so many people ignore on this board, the only people left for him to carry on a conversation with are himself and one group I won't mention because they might get their panties in a bunch.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FB, You reckon the DOJ manufactured this all?

9. Not at all. Spitzer walked into this bear trap with his eyes -- and, apparently, his fly -- wide open.
    That said, when you politicize the DOJ the way these guys have, which is unprecedented, you lose a certain amount of credibility when it comes to your choice of public targets. Spitzer is one customer, and he's the only one we know. The Mann Act? A festival of cobbled-up political prosecutions since they used it to land on Jack Johnson for dating white women. He deserves pretty much whatever happens to him. But if he resigns, and this prosecution suddenly goes away, don't be surprised.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I think whether he resigns or not is going to depend on where all that sex money came from.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This isn't Jack Johnson. No parallel. Johnson was persecuted unjustly because of racial bigotry. You just said Spitzer walked into this with his eyes wide open.

Spitzer sold himself as the sheriff. He was the guy who was a stickler for integrity and high ethical standards. His opponents always said that was BS, and some anecdotal stories of his conduct in office suggested to a lot of people that that might be true.

If this was trumped up stuff, it'd be one thing. But if it's not, he's the issue, not the DOJ--not because he violated the Mann Act, but because he is a hypocrite.

The Bush DOJ may be involved in politically-motivated prosecutions. I doubt many people would be surprised. The DOJ being politicized is hardly endemic to Bush's White House.

But if Spitzer isn't a hypocrite, a guy like him--former AG and a "fucking steamroller"--destroys the DOJ if they come after him for anything more than a traffic ticket.

Knowing the attitudes you've expressed about various things on here, I'm curious about whether you thought Eliot Spitzer was an overzealous AG who engaged in some unjust and selective prosecutions?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

After a day and reading all of the coverage, I keep on coming back to how he thought that he could have gotten away with this? How do you live with yourself knowing that you might get caught? Especially given how many enemies he has made among those who would love to knock him down a few pegs.

As Dennis Miller once said about OJ (I believe in connection with hosting some function for battered women), the last time that he saw balls that big, they were chasing Indiana Jones in a cave.

Draft saved Draft deleted