1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Daily News writer takes a different approach with his Mets lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

I liked it. It's different. It works. I think Mets fans would actually be OK with seeing someone else who agrees the Mets suck as much as they think they do.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What 21 said, WFW. You use this lede on Aug. 19, not April 19.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

After the next Mets loss:

By ANDY MARTINO
    The Daily News

Here are the highlights of the Mets' 5-0 loss to the Houston Astros on Wednesday:

#30#

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There was a parody song in the '90s about the grunge movement, in which the singer formed a band that refused to play their instruments, and everyone thought that was about as alternative as you could possibly get, and signed them to a huge record deal. They were an enormous hit until the day the band came along that "wasn't even together," and the herd just moved right on to the next big thing.

That's kind of how I feel about this lede. Especially after Dooley's post. Some too-clever-by-half writer is going to turn that in one day, and draw all kinds of praise. Different isn't always better. (Though I certainly appreciate the willingness to turn it in.)

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That was actually Furman Bisher, IIRC

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup, yup, yup. every point yup.

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with the lead itself. It is entertaining, and it provides a pretty accurate barometer of how everybody around the Mets feels. Thing is, you can use this kind of thing once, so you have to pick your spot. As others noted, April 19 might be a bit early. The baseball season is a narrative that unfolds over six months, with each game story a new chapter that moves the story forward. It is kind of hard to move the story forward from "blah, blah, blah, the Mets have hit rock bottom."

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He could always go with "yadda, yadda, yadda" next.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Here's what I'd like to see: NY Daily News converts to a broadsheet for one day only, borrows the neat stunt by the La Salle kids, then runs Dooley's version of the gamer.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's a better lede than most gamers.

Maybe it could be changed to: "The New York Mets Major League Baseball Club tried as hard as they could, but came short in a 6-1 heartbreaker match Tuesday night at Citi Field Baseball Stadium."

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

On the other hand, what does it say about the Mess if you use it on April 19?

I liked it.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

blah blah blah same old shit ... blah blah blah same old shit ... blah blah blah I'm note going to bother reading the same old shit.

In other words, the lede is turrible, turrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted