1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Daily News: Bonds likely to be indicted when grand jury resumes (Sept.)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by rokski2, Jul 21, 2007.

1. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

The grand jury has been extended for an additional 6 months and TJ Quinn reports that federal prosecutors feel they are likely to seek and obtain an indictment against Barry Bonds based on either perjury and/or tax evasion:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/07/21/2007-07-21_jurys_in_on_bonds-7.html

Not what Bonds or his lawyer Michael Rains wanted to hear.

- - - - -
    More follow-up articles, commentary and speculation to come.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The tabs are on fire this week!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Solid piece.. .Of course, think of this, boys and girls... Bonds breaks the record, gets indicted on perjury for his testimony, tried and loses.
    Since he perjured himself on his use of performance enhancing drugs, Selig bans him from the game for conduct not in the best interests of baseball. We know he won't play again anyway and he wouldn't think of coaching, managing or otherwise giving back, the only thing left is -- tada -- an ineligiblity for the Hall of Fame....
    Selig couldn't do anything about him, breaking the record, but can make sure of Bonds' legacy...

Thoughts?

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Barry lied? A nice guy like him? I'd be stunned to hear such news.

5. My Nifong alarm bell is ringing again.
    They could indict him for perjury now, but they're going to wait until the fall to do it? Why would they do that? This is to give Anderson six more months in stir to think about singing on what they really want to nail Bonds for -- the drug stuff.

6. creamora

creamora Member

More government leaks? Sounds as though there may be additional indictments besides Bonds. Possibly Marion Jones?

7. rokski2

rokski2 New Member

I'm going to speculate here: Unless something changes during the next 6 months of the grand jury's being convened, I think that Bonds will be indicted on tax evasion charges and not on perjury charges.

8. I think they probably had him nailed on tax evasion a year ago. The standard of proof on that one is pretty much whatever the IRS says it is.
    This still looks like an attempt to put more pressure on the only guy who's already in jail.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

You know, FB, we both could be correct.

That is, this almost certainly is an attempt to get information from Anderson, but it still could be a decision from the federal prosecutors (and those above them) that regardless of whether or not they get potentially-needed evidence from Anderson, they have finally made the decision to seek an indictment against Bonds even if it is not on the grounds at the heart of this case, steroids.

The feds need to save some face and the current administration has made steroids a specific issue. If a certain percentage of the population still believes Saddam Hussein was involved in 9/11, perhaps when they hear Barry Bonds has been indicted, they will necessarily believe that it is for/about steroids even if that is not the case when/if the indictment is rendered.

The tax evasion thing worked with Al Cappone, I believe. Why not Barry Bonds?

10. How about Bonds' lawyer coming out and bragging about how he's going to keep kicking the govt's ass? Talk about stupid.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I agree, it's dumb. I know what he's trying to do (intimidate them, as he has been with his apparent damning evidence of Novitzky's supposedly-shoddy investigative methods), but this is not the administration you want to try to bully around or play chicken with.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Here's a sample of what Scribbled Notz is referring to, in the case of Bonds' attorney Michael Rains:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2003800570_basenotes22.html

"I'll outmaneuver them at every turn," Michael Rains said Saturday night. "I've kicked their ass in private, I'll continue to kick their ass in public."

Draft saved Draft deleted