1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NY Daily News: Ankiel linked to HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportshack06, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That is, unless they find use from this season. You've got to investigate. Did he buy in bulk? If so, did he still have some of that HGH from years ago? Did he use it this season? We can't just assume that he used or didn't use this season anymore.

2. But that's what Boots is saying. We should just accept his defense. There's no reason for his supporters to lie. It's a "nothing" story.

3. boots

boots New Member

If you feel like a fool, that sounds like a personal issue.
    I understand the relevance of the story and the timeliness. However, it means very little. If he admits he used the substance before the ban, big deal. He wasn't alone. Will he get suspended should he admit to using it? No.
    To me, the story would have more meat if he had used HGH after the ban.
    It's a nice read but it's missing something.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, I'm saying investigate, see if this thing has longer legs. He says it's a nothing story, which I obviously don't agree with.

5. boots

boots New Member

He was tested along with every ball player playing professional baseball. He obviously passed so the investigation won't reveal anything new.

6. Duh.

7. OK, so, let's make some actual progress in the argument. If he stopped using HGH before the ban, great, fine, whatever, everyone moves on. But the only thing that we know for sure is that he stopped OBTAINING HGH before the ban. There's no way to know if he had stopped using it, and since there's no test, it seems like the Occam's Razor conclusion would be that he used up the last of his stores, regardless of the date. So what's your argument now? Is it still a non-story if he was taking HGH after the ban, but not receiving more of it?

Also, I'm gonna say this one one more time, and then you're on your own...
    THERE IS NO TEST FOR HUMAN GROWTH HORMONE

8. Except he did something illegal by possessing Human Growth Hormone. Doesn't matter whether baseball banned it or not. He's a cheater.

9. Welcome to the board ... just what we need ::)

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Semantics, but it makes him a criminal, not a cheater.

Continue baiting boots though. Great way to ruin a thread. There's a button. Use it on him.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

HGH was as legal in baseball as crack, heroin and shrooms were.

It wasn't legal, because it's not legal under United States law without a legitimate medical reason. Baseball just didn't do shit about it until 2005. When you think of it, they're still not doing shit about it because they can't test for it.

12. I'm on topic. Have a happy bite me day.

Draft saved Draft deleted