1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NW papers lose another big advertiser - GI Joe's closing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DanOregon, Apr 9, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

After 60 years the major sporting goods and auto parts retailer is closing after going bankrupt. They sponsored the Portland Indy Race for many years and was a pretty cool store if you needed anything related to the outdoors, sports, cars, they even sold concert tickets. They were also regular newspaper advertisers. RIP Joe. Half my trunk is filled with stuff I bought there.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not being from the northwest, I had no idea that GI Joe's was a store. As a kid, when that race came on TV, I'd get all excited because I thought it somehow tied in with the toy line.
    I was bitterly disappointed.

3. jps

jps Active Member

same company that did the circuit city closings is taking care of this one -- so don't expect many great deals, I'm afraid. but you're right, dan - consistent advertisers now gone. and it seems blockbuster is on the verge of chapter 11, as is rite aid, so more are probably on the way.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Rite Aid? Damn. They're everywhere (which may be why they're troubled).

GI Joe's was a staple. Sportsman's Warehouse just closed about 30 stores including some in Tennessee and Texas, I believe.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

These stores and their like are falling victim not only to the ecomony, but to the Wal Mart Effect.
    And as more and more municipalities struggle meeting the needs of the taxpayer, the refusal of Wal Mart to support their employees with any sustainable healthcare options drains resources... from the federal level down to the city level.

Draft saved Draft deleted