1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nutritional Question - "Naked" Smoothies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My grocery store had a good sale on these puppies over the weekend so I bought a few.

Holy Schmokes are they good. REAL good.

I'm curious as I embark on Phase2 of the ModdyLite program: Are they suitable as a meal substitute? They're about 80 million percent tastier than Slim Fast, though a bit more expensive at full price.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about such things. Save the snark please. Simple question and I'd appreciate straight answers from anyone who knows.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

High in carbs/sugars and no protein....not a meal replacement. Maybe a decent option after a hard workout, but without some protein to balance the carbs, you're going to be hungry and craving in an hour.

Not saying they're bad for you, just know what you're getting and not getting.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love how every one of your threads is "no snark" when everyone else's threads get overrun with it. :D

Anyway, googled "naked smoothies as meal replacement" and found this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/226393-diet-smoothie-drinks/

Basically, the brand they recommend has more than 50 percent of your daily value in 20 different categories. So I'd look at a label. If it has enough good stuff in it that it CAN sub out a meal, have at it.

4. Moderator1

Thanks - and I hear you IJAG. My fear was "naked" would bring out the worst in some of our comedian wannabes and I didn't want to have to wade through that. Snark is wonderful when used properly and in the proper place.

Appreciate the input. 21, I need to get back into hard workouts. My doctor says I'm ready. Numbers are good, weight is down. Time to get it down MORE. So I'll look good naked.

Oh wait. That's snark. My bad!

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That's not snark. That's lies. :D

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Moddy,

You're a pretty tall guy aren't you? I'm curious what weight range you like to be in.

7. Moderator1

No, Mizzou, I'm on the short side. I'm 5-10 and I'd like to get to the 160-170 range. I was there once. YEARS ago.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For some reason I thought you were 6-2+... I must be thinking of someone else...

9. Moderator1

Nope. Short. Bald. Fat. But handsome.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I figured you for at least 6'2" . You post bigger than your program height.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Saying 5-10 is short is kind of snarky. :D

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Try the Mango Veggie. It's delicious and even more chock full of vitamins than most of them. And it gives you three grams of protein, which certainly isn't nearly enough for a meal but is more than most juices offer.

Of course, if you were to eat a 12-ounce steak for your other meal, that's enough protein for an entire day.

Draft saved Draft deleted