1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nutri-System

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jun 1, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

During the winter, about 15 to 20 guys, including me, rent out a college gym on Saturday mornings, before the college's team practices around noon. Games start early, but we get in three to four hours of running. It's a 35 + crowd. Good games. Good for a lot of the guys, because they have families and can sneak out and get in the run early before they have to settle back into weekend family life. I'd never do this if I had to organize it -- someone else did it -- but if you can find a similar situation, and you have a core group of guys willing to toss in a little money, it is totally worth it. We send an e-mail each week to see who plans to be there, so we can plan. There are about 5 guys who are "alternates" and get asked if it looks like there won't be enough players. We try to get 15 or less guys so no one has to sit more than one game.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

We do that on Sunday early in the evening. I love it because we'll play for a few hours. That especially helps since my shot is pretty rusty, but by the 3rd or 4th game it comes around.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, a location and a solid group of guys is tough to find, but once you find it, it's awesome.

I was playing at a local health club, but I got tired of guarding guys who lets just say were not shy about showing off their penchant for a thug life.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

When I first moved back to NY, I had no $$ and couldn't afford a health club. I signed up for the Carmine Street Gym, which is a city run gym. I'd play ball there and there were games during which I be the only player on the floor who wasn't an ex-con. They didn't know a thing about me, other than the way I looked, and they called me "college boy," as in, "Yo, college boy, pass me the f'in ball." I am not a really big guy, but I could play a little. Basketbrawl games like that are good for you...to a point. It definitely toughens you up, and teaches you how to drive or get a shot off knowing you are going to get mugged anyhow. It even gives you a sense of how to draw contact and still hit your shot in a more normal game. But yeah, a steady diet of getting the shit kicked out of you on a basketball court is not that much fun.

5. 93Devil

Shit, that I don't mind.

It's listening to a bunch of stupid idiots argue about the score or a foul for 15 minutes of a 30 minute game.

That and everyone trying to establish cred when they got the ball.

Yeah, you missed your first seven shots, but the eighth one was sweet. Now go talk into a cell phone that isn't even turned on.

6. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Bad, bad, bad, bad...BAD!

Boom was right, it's loaded with sodium and preservatives, and I would never do it again. You sit there online and order specific amounts of each meal -- if you have 30 dinners to choose from, you go for 5 of lasagna, 5 of whatever else; same for breakfast and lunch. It arrives in several giant boxes; just a ton of food finely arranged for space maximization.
    But the meals aren't even complete. Somewhere in one of the boxes will be a tiny booklet that becomes your vague guide for eating. It never just says, "Grab a package that's labeled BREAKFAST'. It suggests you make that, and add other food, like fruit, milk, bread, vegetables etc to get your daily requirements. It's not just 'make the eggs'. It's 'make the eggs, then get your own fruit, measure out 8 oz. of milk', and 'make the soup we gave you, then cook a potato and wash the green beans'.
    So you basically have half of a "healthy" diet, and a mediocre-at-best guide to fulfill the other half. It's just stupid.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Count me as another vote for Weight Watchers. It's common sense and easy to follow. Better yet, if you're not into going to meetings (like me) you can do the program on line.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Yet another endorsement here for Weight Watchers. It really makes you think about what you're eating. My wife and I did it before we got married and were very pleased with the results. The first couple of weeks were a pain in the ass (of Weight Watchers, not being married) because I couldn't eat as much as I was accustomed to, but once you get used to it it's fine.

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

A third endorsement for WW. My fiancee and I did it for a few months and it worked pretty well, but we got out of it after a little while, and now we need to get back into it.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I knew you didn't mean the married part. That doesn't stop after a couple of weeks.
    One dear reader is actually sending my son some Nutri-System food to try.

11. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I do that on Wednesday's & Friday's, but it's about to stop with the school year ending. I'm scrambling to find another gym we can use. No way these knees can handle playing outside on asphalt.

I can't keep up a gym regiment. I get bored way too easily. I could play hoop every day.

12. 93Devil

I would be 99 percent sure that there will be people in that school during the summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted