1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuns auctioning Honus Wagner T-206 card

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WolvEagle, Oct 27, 2010.

1. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

A guy dies a few years back and leaves everything to his sister, who is a nun. In his safe deposit box was a T-206 Honus Wagner - the holy grail of baseball cards. How appropriate that an order of nuns is auctioning it.

It's in lousy condition, so they're expecting more than $100,000, but not into the millions like one in good condition will bring.

What a coup for these nuns.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/nuns-auctioning-rare-honus-wagner-baseball-card-102710?GT1=39002

I saw a T-206 at a Baseball Hall of Fame traveling exhibit in my hometown a couple years ago. It was in a plastic holder on a pedestal in its own locked display case - with security cameras pointing at it. These folks weren't messing around.

As a former baseball and hockey card collector (I sold the collection a few years ago), it was really, really cool to see that card.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I was at a show once where they had the card on display. It was roped off like you were at the goddamned Louvre. I could look at it from six feet away, oh, the excitement.

I knew a dealer who had a Sal Maglie (sp?) error card that at one point was the second most expensive card ever. He showed it to me about 20 years ago. The thing was in spectacular condition for something that came out around 1909. I think it was the first error card.

3. WolvEagle

Definitely wasn't Sal Maglie in 1909.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

A 1909 Sal Maglie is truly amazing ... considering Sal Maglie wasn't born until 1917 and didn't play in the majors until 1945

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's the error, silly.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

They should send it to Lourdes.

In a couple of weeks, it will be as good as new.

7. The 1909 T-206 tobacco card in question is of Phillies outfielder and first baseman Sherry Magie (his name was Magee and was corrected on two subsequent versions in the set). The error card fetches big bucks. After the Wagner card, the Magie and the Eddie Plank card in the same set are considered the next rarest cards in baseball.

Sal Maglie pitched mostly for the Giants in the 50s. Definitely not him.

8. Mizzougrad96

Well, whoever it was, it was an error card from the same era as the Wagner card. It wasn't a player I'd ever heard of.

9. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Now a guy who has one, Honus Wagner card, he's bidding on this one as well.

He wants to be the first collector to have two.

10. Mizzougrad96

I'm pretty sure Charlie Sheen owns one of them.

11. WolvEagle

The nuns got $222,000.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101105/NATION/11050415/1361/Nuns-sell-Honus-Wagner-card-for-$262-000

Draft saved Draft deleted