1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nun Sense

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I want to know what Whoppi thinks of this.

2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Sooooo... it's okay for you secularist boys and girls to actively and aggressively push your beliefs onto the elected servants?

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's OK for anyone to lobby for his or her beliefs.

It's quite another to try and legislate your religion.

4. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

I see.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

HC was in that play a few years back.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What do you see?

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, all I can say is that Hondo once again is full of shit.

He doesn't understand the issue, he doesn't understand that political activism from certain "liberal" religious groups has been around for a long time and no, those groups aren't trying to force RELIGIOUS beliefs down anyone's throats.

But he'll beat the "Muslims are gonna kill us" argrument into the ground.

Words escape me.

8. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

I see that it is OK for you to push your beliefs on me, but not necessarily vice versa.
    I thought we all had an equal vote in this shebang.
    My bad.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Given that one thing is expressly protected by the Constitution and one is expressly forbidden, it really shouldn't be too hard for you to figure out, jimmy.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Depends on what you mean by "legislate religion". If you mean "make Christianity the state religion" or "force schools to mandate Christian prayer" then yes, that'd fit. But I've been told that anti-abortion bills are "legislating religion", which is stretch the definition quite a bit. Then I'm told "but the people who support it eventually want this that and the other," which I suppose is possible, but the laws themselves are religiousy neutral, and intent is hard to parse (are they opposed to abortion as a back door to legislate Christianity, or are their beliefs more of a general catalyst to their actions, which is what the "progressive" nuns are doing by advocating Bush/Cheyney's impeachment?)

Even anti-gay marriage laws (to which I'm opposed, FWIW) aren't strictly Christian laws because other religions (Judaism, Islam) are flatly against homosexuality and there's probably athiests who voted for them too.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You just named three exceptions, and you'd be hard-pressed to come up with any more.
    Contrast that with the thousands of terrorists we know are out there ... hell, millions, since there are entire countries involved. Or haven't you heard of the term "state-sponsored terrorism."

Keep your head in the sand dude.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Words escape you because intelligent argument escapes you. It's very clear that religious activism is tolerated only on one side of the political aisle. Then, when you throw in the fact that you might be on the nun's side when it comes to the Iraq War, but differ with them on issues such as abortion, and I can see how your little brain might be a bit confused.

Don't worry. You'll just wallow in hypocrisy, and feel all better.

Draft saved Draft deleted