1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Numbers don't lie: Godless families raise better children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One often sees "godless" used as an insult. "Godless liberals," for example. There are polls showing that Americans overwhelmingly would not vote for an atheist for President. On the home front, I recall that my brother once had to really smooth things over with my aunt after he posted a Richard Dawkins link on Facebook. She said she was "very upset."

So what I'm asking is: What if atheists are right? Are they still kind of morally inferior to Christians?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Stipulating that there is -- and never has been -- a god ...

How could anyone be adjudged morally inferior to anyone? You could, of course, frame morality from some utilitarian perspective, and that therefore one or the other party is morally inferior because its ... creed ... is wasteful. But that's not morality as you're depicting it.

3. Dick Whitman

Let's make this simpler:

An overwhelming majority of Americans would not vote for an atheist for President.

Is this because:

• Atheism simply signals a lack of morality, or because
    • there is something inherently about believing in a higher power that is the morally superior choice, or
    • some other reason?

4. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Christians or not, a lot of light skin people see themselves supeior to darked skins, I have seen that on my own family.

5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

The Romans conquered most of our territories, we still live by their rules.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'd guess there's a not-insignificant group of people who believe humans cannot live by their own moral code - it must be given to them by some sort of authority.

7. doctorquant

An overwhelming majority of Americans would not vote for a Hindu for President, either, but I don't think that's because Americans perceive Hindus as lacking morality.

8. Dick Whitman

No, no, no.

Even compared to Muslims, atheists get slaughtered in this poll. Americans would far sooner vote for a Muslim for President than an atheist.

Why?

9. doctorquant

1) I ain't buying that poll.

2) Maybe the atheists whom respondents are thinking of are the smug, (relatively) well-educated types that just really piss you off.

Still ...

3) I ain't buying that poll.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Because they see atheists as "other"

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

If atheists are right and there is no God it would just mean that social conservatives would need to default to another tired form of put-down that reveals their insecurity about people who are different from them. The word "elite" substitutes nicely for "Godless" in many instances.

12. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that...

Draft saved Draft deleted