1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Numbers don't lie: Godless families raise better children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 24, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You've clearly never been around many Duke alumni. Along those lines ...

Many moons ago I was shooting the breeze with this guy I met after a round of golf. His wife was at her high school reunion the next room over, and he was killing time away from the madness. Turns out we were both alums of the same school. He'd gone on to become a muckety-muck at a big, multi-state power company. Once, a meeting of muckety-mucks of said company was held on the morning of the Duke homecoming parade. As the band played within earshot, the guy leading the minute said, "I think we should pause a moment in honor of the most religious students and alumni in America." Everybody else looked around quizzically, and the guy said, "Yeah, they worship one another!"

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with this. When I think of "godless" people, I think of highly-educated, often pacifist, Vermont types with good (if not spectacular) incomes. Likely in higher-end teaching, public administration, etc.

When I think of Christian or faith-based families, it splits into two groups -- the nuclear family where the six-figure income father who pays for everything or the middle-class to lower-income family scraping by.

3. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

As somebody who has lived among Catholics, Jews, Christian Jews, Muslims, Budhists, Non-Roman Catholics, Orthodox and the South, all I can do is learn and try to respect different cultures.

One of my brothers or myself was suppossed to be a catholic priest, its a Roman Catholic tradition but my mom was converted baptist in South Carolina.

Being multi-cultural can be good or bad... it depends on how you look at it.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That's actually good to know. It's the one game my kids have where they clearly lose track of time when they're playing.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm betting a lot of people arrive in prison quite godless and with nothing but a lifetime of prison ahead of them convert to God.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Ruben Rivas likes this.
  7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No alums are quicker on the draw than those from THE Ohio State University. And that was true long before this latest national championship.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

HEY! I WENT TO A REALLY SHITTY SCHOOL!!! :D

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Tony, yep, I covered that earlier with the soap on a rope comment. I imagine atheists have it rough in the tank.

old_tony likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Let's say, for argument's sake, that there is actually not a god.

Are atheists still inherently worse people than Christians?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Revise/resubmit ... I don't know what in the eff you're getting at.

12. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Depends on your definition of "worse."

Hitler was Christian, Mussolini, Franco...

All the European nobility that killed millions of people around the world were christians...

Draft saved Draft deleted