1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Numbers don't lie: Godless families raise better children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But, no. Not that I know of. I doubt they talk about it. It seems like they mostly talk about spies and cops and robbers and superheroes and that kind of stuff. He's at an age where they are all currently starring in their own action movies at recess every day.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tweeted at you?

I remember being pissed as a kid when my Jewish neighbor told be Santa wasn't real. You're really going to piss folks of when your kid starts telling his classmates that the Bible is a myth.

3. Dick Whitman

There's like five Indian kids in his class. I'm sure what he'd be telling them about the Christian Bible is fairly mild.

What would they have to be pissed about, though? What percentage of Americans believe that Adam and Eve actually traipsed through the Garden of Eden together and that Jonah got swallowed by a whale? I guess it's probably disturbingly high in Alabama, but probably pretty negligible in our little corner of suburban Chicago.

4. Dick Whitman

That said, it is a myth.

I'm not going to not tell him otherwise in order to protect the delicate feelings of a hypothetical fundie kid in his class in the event the topic hypothetically happens to come up one day on the playground.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I fully plan to tell my son when he's older that under no circumstances is he ever to be alone with a Catholic priest. I imagine that'll lead to some tense conversations with other parents.

6. Dick Whitman

He did come home recently and announce: "Did you know that sometimes Santa brings kids tablets?"

HC likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. I guess Santa didn't bring tablets to the Whitman home this Christmas.

8. Dick Whitman

Nope. Not for a while. And no reason for it.

Video game time is strictly tied to reading time in our parts. They have this thing called "RAZ Kids" in which the kids read books on the tablet or laptop, and work up through levels. For every book, he gets 10 minutes of video game time. But he has to read at least three books to get time. So he can't just read one and cash in right away. Sometimes he'll negotiate for another reward instead of video games, usually a Shirley Temple cocktail.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

My oldest son is drawn to it. We go to church every weekend and my wife teaches Sunday School, but when they gave him his Bible in second grade, he just loves reading it. We've never pushed him to read it. Of course, he reads anything he can get his hands on, so maybe it's more that than anything else...

10. RecoveringJournalist

My kids get 30 minutes of tablet time a night (homework not included). Often they don't even use that, and we make them keep them in our room. Sometimes I let them go longer, especially if they're playing something that I think is educational (Stack the States, etc...)

11. Dick Whitman

My kid couldn't handle 30 minutes a night. We only do weekends. He's a little addict, so we have to limit it.

12. RecoveringJournalist

It's interesting because my oldest (8) has to use a tablet or computer to do about 90 percent of his homework. They have things called XtraMath, Spelling City, Sumdog and Typing Agent and he can do the tablet for the first three and needs the laptop for typing practice. So because of that, I'm glad we got them tablets for Christmas.

Draft saved Draft deleted