1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Numbers don't lie: Godless families raise better children

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Feb 24, 2015.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...at least according to an ongoing discussion in the LATimes.

One telling fact from the criminology field: Atheists were almost absent from our prison population as of the late 1990s, comprising less than half of 1% of those behind bars, according to Federal Bureau of Prisons statistics. This echoes what the criminology field has documented for more than a century — the unaffiliated and the nonreligious engage in far fewer crimes.

How secular family values stack up - LA Times

Are you making a mistake raising your kids without religion? - LA Times

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You might think people find religion as they wind up behind bars. Lots of reasons to pray, especially if you don't have soap on a rope.

3. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

I believe religion is a good thing, killing in the name of god is not.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm going to start calling you Mr. Non Sequitur.

Vombatus likes this.
  5. Ruben Rivas

Ruben Rivas Member

Anything but Bill is fine.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How about Bildo?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We've gone out of our way to avoid imposing a religion, or a "God," on our son.

Funny thing is, we're basically following the advice of my pastor father-in-law. He, as someone who found "God" later in life, believes it doesn't mean much if it's not the individual's choice.

The only ones who have a problem with that are my dumb parents, who haven't been to church in probably 15 years but complain all the time about our child not being baptized.

8. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

While I teach Sunday School and serve as a youth group leader at my church, I do see a solid rationale for your approach.

I was raised by an extremely devout Roman Catholic single mother who pinched pennies to send me to Catholic school from 1st through 10th grade. That's when the priests at my "elite" private school finally had enough of my underachieving and misbehavior and informed her that I was no longer welcome there.

My wife, by contrast, was raised by people who had no relationship to organized religion -- and fairly sketchy morals, to be perfectly honest.

And yet, there is nobody who knows both of us who doesn't think she's turned out to be a much kinder, more compassionate and moral person.

It's not an indictment of God. Just one example to support the notion that beating kids over the head with the Bible isn't the most effective way to produce good adults.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not sure whether you're trolling or not, but that "telling fact" isn't all that telling.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've taught my son that Bible stories are "mythology," at least the Old Testament. I interceded early enough that he wasn't devastated by this - he found it interesting, and wanted to know about more myths.

He knows that Jesus was a real person. He knows that we hope the other stuff is true, but we have no way of knowing for sure.

He certainly doesn't think that angels throw the snow down from the clouds, like one of my wife's second-grade students announced earnestly the other day, or anything like that.

I've found that kids - at least my kid - are more able than we give them credit for to differentiate between fact and faith.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Have any parents of his classmates/friends called to complain about your some telling this to their children?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's 2015. You really think we have a phone?

Draft saved Draft deleted