1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

number for philadelphia eagles media relations?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by strunk_you, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I don't think you're reading her post correctly.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just wondering. I work at a small paper as well. If it is the local boy does good angle, I'd say go with the story. But I'm sick and tired of seeing writers at small papers wasting time to chase major league stories when they are still down on the farm.

Maybe readers do care about the game, but take it from the AP and spend your time on local stuff.

3. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

I'm still trying to adjust to posting on this board, but 21 sure appeared to be angry when he posted. Using fuck as an adjective tipped the scales.

4. Johnny Dangerously

I won't speak further for her (21 is a she) after this, but I know her well enough that I can promise you that she didn't mean her sky fell. I'm certain she meant the sky seemed to be falling around some of the posters who got a big hard-on for ripping this kid.

She uses fuck from time to time, and it's not always a tip-off of anger.

5. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

You know, it's funny, I posted a similar inquiry a couple years ago and got nothing but help from the nice folks here.

I even went back and read that thread just to be sure. I guess the kicker was that I'd already found the NFL team's office number and called it, had no luck and was asking for a direct line to a PR person.

You live, you learn, rook. But after you've got the info you need, play nice. Three-quarters of this thread is your own fault.

6. To most small papers that is local. Do you really think the AP is going to write a specific feature story on the starting left guard or whomever strunk is trying to chase? I was at a 40K three years ago, and you're damned right we did a story on Thomas Jones before the Super Bowl, since he went to one of the 40 high schools we covered.

Also, to Hellboy: 21 is a she. And that's not what she meant.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Most of the questions asked on this site can be answered elsewhere. Yet, people still ask them. Huh.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Doc, what I'm saying is that if there is a local angle, go ahead and write it. But there are far too many reporters who cover the major league teams while neglecting their own markets.

For those are following, here's an example. Should a reporter in Alaska write a column about how the Yankees are ruining baseball with their high spending? I say stick to local issues.

If strunk is writing a story about the Eagles without their being some type of local connection, it would be shame that story was written instead of something else that could have been done.

9. Hellboy

Hellboy Guest

Thank you Doc, Johnny.

10. If he's doing a phoner on a player, I read that to believe it was a local guy.

11. i agree with everybody who said:

jesus freaking christ

look it up yourself, you can do it in 30 seconds

this kind of stuff doesn't get me mad, it's just sad to think there are "reporters" out there who aren't enterprising enough to find a freaking phone number that my 8-year-old son could find in 30 seconds

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Gomer, I bet when you asked your question, you weren't a dick about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted