1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuke This

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I realize you're more of a Hamas fan.

old_tony likes this.
  2. Mr. Sunshine

Not my fault. #everyliberalever

old_tony likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's worked out well.

I'm glad Iraq is no longer an issue for us.

old_tony likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Iraq is a tar baby. Once you grab hold it is very hard to let go of it. GHW Bush understood this, it's why he didn't push to on Baghdad in GW I.

GWB got us in and there really wasn't a good way out. Remember how George W wasn't going to be in the nation building business? They broke it, and had a moral obligation to try to keep the thing from completely turning into a shitshow, but no one really knows how. Saddam did it by terror and by understanding tribalism. Most Iraqis don't give a shit about the country as an entity. Their obligations are to their family, their clan, their sect pretty much in that order. Saddam made damn sure that everyone understood that if anyone who started sectarian violence his secret police would wipe out his family and chunks of his clan. That kept the lid on.

We had no understanding of how things worked there at the command level.

By the time Obama took over there really wasn't any appetite for doubling down on the number of troops and committing to staying there for another decade or so. He ran on getting us out of there and got elected. What was he supposed to do? If we were still there in force we'd still be seeing from two to thirty dead every week that passed.

We were a prime mover in making the mess, because we pried the lid off of hundreds of years old animosity and had no answers once we did.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

NC, I generally agree, but I blame mostly Cheney and Rumsfeld. GWB was like a puppet. Ultimately his call, yes, but that was the eight year presidency of Dick Cheney in my opinion.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

He said that in December 2011. ISIS didn't get into Iraq until 2014. Not his fault Iraq was so incompetent that they couldn't beat back ISIS.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's because conservatives are the ones who've constantly been on the wrong side of history.

8. Mr. Sunshine

I wonder what they'll be thinking today at the Washington Post when they write their Iran headlines.

old_tony likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A bit broader perspective might suit you better. You might try reading something written by someone other than David Halberstam and Howard Zinn.

10. Mr. Sunshine

*Baron Googles Howard Zinn*

old_tony likes this.
  11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

And I realize you're a fucking moron.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Shit, man, he has to Google David Halberstam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.