1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuggets, Knicks make trade that brings neither closer to a title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Feb 21, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/basketball/men/boxscore?gameId=834

When the USA put the starting five out on the floor in 2008 for the Gold Medal Game, Anthony was one of the five. To me, that says a lot.

I think that now he is on a more national stage, people will realize how great of a player he can be.

Remember he also led Syracuse to the 2003 NCAA Title.

I didn't like the trade at first, but I think Anthony in NYC will be a lot of fun.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i have zero insight or opinion regarding where 'melo currently ranks on the nba landscape. i am, however, of the opinion that a precious few have his raw skills and, that at 26, may yet have come close to scratching the surface of his 'potential.' i have no clue what his desire-level is, whether he is open to allowing himself to be 'coached up' or is already beyond that point.

what i sure as heck do know is that 'melo can still become the 'all-around' player on both ends of the floor most folks seem to agree he can be. i'd like to believe that 26 is too young of an age for any star to be pigeonholed or labeled as one thing or as someone who cannot still improve.

those who contend this was not a marvelous deal for the nix are either blind, don't understand the game or loathe the nix/n.y. sports teams too much to see this clearly. does 'melo make the nix a title contender? heck, no. i won't consider them that until they at least add a solid presence at center and probably a top point guard (i'll leave it to all you nba experts to tell me if billups remains a title-calibre player). oh, and their bench must be replenished now.

most importantly, though, they'll need another coach before i can take them seriously. d'antoni's teams are two tons of fun to watch in the regular season but destined to fail before ever reaching the finals.

but that should not matter to nix nation yet, although in our microwave world we want to see our heroes go from zero to 60 in a nanosecond. and make no mistake, this franchise had been stuck in the mud for years until this season. long-lost fans only recently began paying attention again. 'melo adds yet another key, star ingredient to the mix, a promise of much quality entertainment to come for n.y. basketball junkies (i was not among those who embraced those riley-ewing-oakley-starks teams; neither their style nor personality were 'huggable'). i'm not one who demands an instant championship when a team finally takes steps in the right direction. i enjoy watching the final pieces put into place in the year or two leading up to true title contention.

n.y. basketball has been starved for so long. i just hope fans can chill a bit and enjoy the process. the entire ride should be joyful, not only the final lap. it's sad how greedy and impatient fans are in our talk-radio, microwave-driven world. often i wish we'd all slow down a bit and savor the aroma.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The belief is also that Anthony will lure Chris Paul or another top-tier FA to NYC. I'm not sure if Paul is a FA after this season or next season.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I guess it doesn't matter now since there's going to be a new CBA soon, but does anyone know the Knicks' financial numbers now in terms of cap room?

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Next. Summer of 2012.

6. derwood

derwood Active Member

Plenty in 2012 to add another max contract.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Granted, I thought LeBron would be a lock to wind up in NYC, so I guess we now get a year of "Will Chris Paul go to NY? Will Deron Williams go to NY?"

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. JackReacher

Did I see where Deron Williams has publicly said he's signing with the Knicks next year, or was I mistaken?

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I think Carmelo is a slightly better version of Glen Robinson. A great mid-range game, took team to conference finals and doesn't have the skills to make others around him better. Most of his shots come from isolation as does Stoudemire so there is going be a lot of standing around watching.

The Knicks were not making the Finals prior to the trade and won't in the future.

As for Chris Paul and Deron Williams going to NY it all comes down to the hard cap. If it comes in at $50-$52 million, Toney Douglas is going to get a lot minutes at point.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not a conspiracy theorist - but I have a hard time believing that the NBA won't make Chris Paul or Deron Williams an option for New York.

11. JackReacher

ok, so Deron Williams to the Nets now?

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I disagree - you forget who is coaching them. If they get a point guard like Paul or Williams, which, they will, you know they will - in that guys system this team could average 115 points a night.

They will be a bitch to deal with for anyone.

Now, we could sit here and say that system hasn't won anything ever since the 1980's but it has produced some very, very good basketball teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted