1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nudity in the gym locker room

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

"It was SHRINKAGE!"

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Haven't people been making these jokes and observations about old men in gym lodges for decades, though? I swear I've seen it done in a few 1970s or 1980s sitcoms. Were the 60-year-olds of today strutting the locker room bareass when they were 30? My feeling is people stop caring as much what others think of their bodies at a certain age.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'd like to read more stories from the women's locker rooms, thanks.

4. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

First job after college. My roommate worked at the same newspaper. He comes in one early evening after hitting the YMCA after work almost in tears, laughter, hyperventilating, shock. We eventually get out of him that the publisher also was at the YMCA and in the locker room and proceeded to have a discussion about some articles with my roommate, while completely naked. This was the late 1990s. Publisher was about 60 and looked like Mr. Burns.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Never bothers me when guys walk around the locker room naked, but they usually throw me out before I can get any good pictures.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

21's original comment was funnier.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Only tangentially related, but my publisher is a notorious bathroom talker. And he clearly shoe-checks beforehand because the discussion is usually topical. (How 'bout the Packers last week?)

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Is your publisher LBJ?

10. Uncle Frosty

Uncle Frosty Member

You sure he didn't just want advice from you on whether or not to buy a Chevy Volt?

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it. Except for the old guy at my gym who proselytizes while naked. If he wants to quote Scripture to the room, put on some underwear first.

Also, our locker room set up is weird. The door is right to the left of the main desk. Thanks to the angle, the first five or six lockers can be seen by people standing at the desk when the door is open. Since there is a hot tub and sauna room and showers in the locker room, a lot of times the staff will prop the door open to vent the excess heat and humidity. Yet they've not put up a sign warning the old dudes who strip down and talcum powder their balls at locker No. 1.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Especially if he's talking about rising again.

Draft saved Draft deleted