1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nudity in the gym locker room

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 2, 2013.

1. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Generational.

My first shop had stalls in the bathroom but no doors. One of the old guys would stand at the opening and want to chat about a ballgame or otherwise shoot the breeze while I was taking a dump and I found that weird.

I always assumed it had to do with the generation before me -- I'm 53 -- mostly all serving in the military and being used to having no privacy.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Can't wait for the thread about movies about gladiators, or Turkish prisons.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This role rubbed off on Rossie Harris, apparently. Went on to become a musician in the band Sukia, which featured this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Harris_(actor)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Whatever your choice, do not prance. Thank you.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Don't be hating on Billy Squier

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And do The Stroke at your own risk.

7. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Perhaps, when you get to a certain age, by the time you manage to get your clothes off, you've forgotten what you were planning to do in the first place.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

That's an excellent 3,000th post, especially edited.

9. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I think that's got a lot to do with it. The first time I had to take a dump on a row of 10 shitters side by side with no walls and 10 on the opposite wall facing you, all the while the next 20 guys were standing at the door telling you to hurry up, it wasn't easy. Ever hear the expression "Shit or get off the pot"? After a couple of times, you adjust and stop thinking about it.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Generational.

We live in a far more narcissistic, hung-up-on-ourselves world, and, as a result, we have a lot of shame over who we are. And we dwell on the bad stuff that's happened to us. And we dwell on what we did wrong all the time. And we long far more for a world that's just so. I walk into a lot of houses these days that look like museums, barely resembling anyplace you'd call home. People have boring, reserved personalities. No one wants to emotionally naked, either. That's reserved for drug addicts and loud people.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Imagine a summer camp "sunrise swim" where the camp director leads a skinny dipping session - or an indian sweat lodge where you get naked, sweat like hell then jump in the lake. Yeah, it was Boy Scout camp and no, nothing untoward happened and it was all voluntary and above board, but I can't imagine something like that would still be done today.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not going to psycho-analyze generations.

I just think there's a normal, happy medium between hanging around naked when there are plenty of towels available and being afraid to be naked for any length of time in a room full of men.

Draft saved Draft deleted