1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nudity in the gym locker room

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm 43. I usually keep a towel wrapped around my waist, but I'm not really bother by guys who don't.

Taking your pants off under the towel is weirder than walking around naked.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Must be generational. I'm between you and the geezer (doorstep of 42), and I'd never think of doing either -- prancing naked or covering up. I grew up in sports locker rooms and then joined the Navy right out of high school. Showering, dressing, or using the toilet around others isn't a big deal. I'd be a little suspect of a dude who wanted to have a naked conversation.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup.

Agree with Buck, too. Taking your pants off under the towel is strange.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is how I am. I have no problem taking off my clothes. You have to. But I am not prancing around naked. I wrap a towel around myself after I take off my workout clothes, and keep one wrapped around my waist when I get out of the shower. Of course I need to lose the towel to get dressed.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He's a prude as a man, too.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If I get naked in the locker room I at least wait until I'm at the shower stall, and even then, when I get done in the shower, I have some shorts to put on immediately.

Otherwise I've noticed that it's always older guys who get naked and seem to really dawdle about it in the locker room. It's annoying, but also far less prevalent than assholes who put their gym backs on the benches instead of the floor. The locker room at my gym isn't that big to begin with, and so while you take up one of the two benches spreading all your shit around, I'm standing there waiting for your slow ass. Show some consideration.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

NEVER!!!

[​IMG]

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Is it a generational thing or a size thing? Just asking.

9. printit

printit Member

Generational. Same thing at my gym. Guys in 50s or 60s and up walk around naked, no one younger does.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't think many people understand RustyShackleford's question. It's either a generational thing or an age thing. I think it's an age thing.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I have to think it's generational. People in their 50s and 60s went to high school when showers after gym class were required. It was part of the hygiene education.

At some point, that all changed. Kids were given a pass out of gym class if they were afraid to shower in front of others. Or they were allowed to skip the shower and be a stinking mess the rest of the day.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

In my high school gym classes, showers were only even an option after swimming, and everyone just kept their trunks on because those had to be washed, too. I have no problem being nude in my gym locker room now, but I keep it to a minimum because no one wants to see me naked any more than I want to see them naked.

That said, I totally understand the old-man-says-fuck-it attitude. It's the same sort of thing that allows old men to really creepily hit on every waitress they meet.

Draft saved Draft deleted