1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nudity in the gym locker room

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This afternoon, an older man, probably in his 60s, made something of a show of his nakedness in the locker room at my gym. Standing there naked, he yawned loudly, arms outstretched above his head. He dropped his gym bag loudly on the floor. He wandered around naked, checking himself in the mirror and using the toilet. It really seemed like he wanted people to notice him while naked, and sadly, we all did.

It sparked a conversation between my workout partner and I. The two of us have noticed that older men are naked in the locker room much more often than people our age (early 30s) and younger. Older guys think nothing of standing there naked while watching the TV in the corner, or having conversations naked, or prancing around like the fellow today. Guys our age, we wrap in a towel and then take off our pants beneath it, then scurry off to shower and have pants back on as quickly as possible.

It got us to wondering - is it a generational thing, or an age thing? Meaning, are the generation of men currently in their 60s just more accepting of it, because they've been doing that since forced dressing in HS P.E. classes, or is it an "I'm an old man and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks anymore" kind of thing, where we'll all be like that once we're old? Is the same sort of thing true in a women's locker room?

My take was that it is generational, and these guys have been doing it all their lives, but my friend says it's an age thing, and once we're old, we won't care either.

What sayeth you, board?

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It is an "I'm an old man and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks" thing, and indeed, everyone WILL be like that once they're old.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The worst is that there's always at least one geezer in every locker room who feels the need to blow-dry his nutsack.

4. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

You take your pants off under a towel? Really? If you were a woman, you'd be labeled a prude.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You could ask Sanduskey for his opinion on this.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

It's a gym locker room, balls be swingin', get over it.

Did the old guy go a little overboard on the show of nudity? Sure, but the area is reserved for males to remove their clothes, take a shower and get dressed...I think the happenstance of nudity is accepted.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Remember reading Pam Shriver's book years ago - major sport in women's tennis locker rooms (not just on the lesbian side, either). Martina was notorious for it.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Definitely generational. Most baby boom athletes would think it perfectly
    normal to go to their locker, take off their gear and head to shower naked.
    It's how they were raised.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think some of it is generational.

I'm 41, and I still remember the locker rooms with a wall of shower heads on it, or those damn posts with four of them sticking out in different directions.

We all used to take showers after football/basketball practices in high school, but these days, the kids just throw on a jacket or sweatshirt, come home sweaty and clean up there.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Our HS shower room had a those pipes coming out at all angles that would
    generate high pressure flow of water. At full tilt you actually had to hold on to a
    rail. It was the closest a suburban white kid would get to feeling what it was like to
    have a fire house turned on them in a riot.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm 45 in a few weeks. I don't like walking around in a gym locker room with my yabba-dabba-doo flapping around. It just ain't cool, when you can wrap a towel around your waist.

There was one 70 + guy at an old gym I used to go to 10 years ago who had a sagging / wrinkled Mr. Burns-from-the-Simpsons skin and build, and he used to walk around naked in the locker room -- and use the place as his social club. I don't think he was actually there to workout, just to get naked and hold court in the locker room. It was just wrong. But how do you tell someone they need to learn towel etiquette?

In my current gym, people are mostly cool, but I had one incident a while back, and I think I may have posted about it on here once before. It happened several times in a week or a couple of weeks. I'd be at a sink shaving (towel wrapped around my waist) after a workout. There is a row of sinks and I was the only one there. This creepy guy walks up to the sink right next to mine, gets as close to me as he can without pushing me out of the way and drops his towel. He spreads out the towel on the floor, stands on it and starts rubbing crap all over himself -- and takes an eternity to do it. So the whole time I am shaving, I have this guy's hairy pubes invading the corner of my eye. Odd enough behavior, but why couldn't he pull his creepy gym guy act four sinks down rather than right on top of me?

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

You have a workout partner?

Draft saved Draft deleted