1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nuc-u-lar....Mer-i-ca.... Bo-RAT!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

From the Daily Mail

"US President George Bush is to host White House talks on British comedian Sacha Baron Cohen.

Cohen, 35, creator of Ali G, has infuriated the Kazakhstan government with his portrayal of Borat, a bumbling Kazakh TV presenter.

And now a movie of Borat's adventures in the US has caused a diplomatic incident.

The opening scene, which shows Borat lustily kissing his sister goodbye and setting off for America in a car pulled by a horse, had audiences in stitches when it was first shown last week.

But the film, which has just premiered at the Toronto Film Festival, has prompted a swift reaction from the Kazakhstan government, which is launching a PR blitz in the States.

Kazakhstan president Nursultan Nazarbayev is to fly to the US to meet President Bush in the coming weeks and on the agenda will be his country's image.

President Nazarbayev has confirmed his government will buy "educational" TV spots and print advertisements about the "real Kazakhstan" in a bid to save the country's reputation before the film is released in the US in November.

President Nazarbayev will visit the White House and the Bush family compound in Maine when he flies in for talks that will include the fictional character Borat."

2. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Well, there's a reliable source. And I'm not even speaking of the Daily Mail.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I'm gonna bring a defibrillator with me when I watch this movie....

4. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I hope it fails.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

No chance.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I was talking about your defibrillator.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I was talking about my defibrillator.

8. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Well, I can dream.

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You tried to keep up.

And, as usual... no shot.

Gotta love a guy who thinks that his "accomplishments" in some compromised fantasy league (after all, I wasn't in any of them) are of such value that they belong on every one of his insipid posts.

Talk about compenisation issues.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I found this quote from Cohen on IMDB:

"Borat is based actually on a guy I met in southern Russia. I can't remember his name. He was a doctor. The moment I met him I was totally crying. He was an hysterically funny guy. Albeit, totally unintentionally."

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

At the rate things are going, if Dubya gets his knickers twisted about this movie, it'll be a big hit.

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Links, people, links. [/Moddy]

Good thing I'm at home and not at work reading this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted