1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NU Press Conference

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone there ought to sack up and hire Solich.
    "We fucked that one up, we'd like him to come back."

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I know Oz is all about second chances, but questionable recruiting success and Frankie's self-medication episode probably rule out whatever slim chance there was of that happening.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Because I'm really curious:

If Solich had "questionable recruiting success" how would you describe Callahan's recruiting?

After all, his classes were supposed to be better than those of Solich.

4. CRM

CRM Member

One of the big mistakes Callahan made was bring in a boatload of junior college transfers to make a bandaid on the program. It was starting to bottom out after Solich got fired and he should have let it hit bottom, then build it back up and be thought of as a hero. Instead, he raised expectations after the second year and the win over Michigan in the bowl game, but still didn't have the foundation built. So, he just delayed the bottoming out.

The same thing is happening with Indiana basketball. Sampson got the bandaid this year with Eric Gordon, and then they'll bottom out in the future. Of course, the Hoosier still got whipped pretty good by Xavier last night, so maybe the Hoosier fans will see he's a bad coach as well as a cheat.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Jucos can work out, as long as you're also recruiting on the high school end.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Really? I've rather enjoyed watching KU and Mizzou and West Virginia, Arizona State and Cincinnatti and Boston College, etc., being among the top dogs this year instead of Notre Dame, Michigan, Nebraska and the usual suspects.

Seeing Wake Forest in BCS bowl last year and seeing Florida State in the Emerald Bowl was wonderful, as was watching Boise State punk Oklahoma and Mr. Defensive Genius Bob Stoops with some sandlot plays.

Nebraska, Penn State, Alabama, Florida State, Miami, Notre Dame and their ilk can suck forever, as far as I'm concerned. Nothing like a decade of below-average football to realy see how "loyal" their fan bases are.

Turnover at the top makes for a healthier game.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Nebraska's been average to below-average several times since Osborne retired. It still has a high sellout streak.

And WVU has a great leader in Rich Rodriguez. Most of the country just hasn't heard of him yet. But they will now.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That great leader that waffled on whether he wanted to leave his alma mater?

Sorry, Doc, he dragged two universities through the mud last year with the way he handled the Alabama ordeal. Lost a lot of luster in my eyes because of that.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

But you know what? He didn't leave. He came back and has WVU on the brink of playing for the national championship. Sorry, but taking West By-God Fuckin' Virginia, and having them on the verge of playing for a title in something that doesn't involve Jerry West is beyond impressive.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm guessing you also worship Don Nehlen, who did the same thing 20 years ago. Granted, it ain't easy to win in Morgantown, but it's not impossible, either.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's true. But I'm talking a spate of god-awful teams in a row, four or five years in a row without a bowl, a streak like Missississpi State, Wazzu, Washington or Vandy has suffered. Nebraska still went bowling under Callahan.

I hope they don't hire Turner Gill. He can keep working wonders at UB and get the Bulls into the Big East, which is a natural fit for them as their athletic program grows stronger.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

SUNY at Buffalo to the Big East? Helluva jump, although I suppose it's not impossible. Both Gill and Warde Manuel have to stick around for a while for that to be more than a remote possibility, though.

Sources close to the UB program were definitely uneasy about the Nebraska talk earlier in the year, but that's died down a little in the last couple of weeks...

Draft saved Draft deleted