1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NU Press Conference

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Nov 24, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Which is why Osborne should just take the job back himself.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Just so it's official:

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Bill Callahan was fired as Nebraska's coach Saturday, his four-year stay marked by the most embarrassing losses at a football program once among the mightiest in the nation.

ESPN's Joe Schad first reported the move.

Interim athletic director and Nebraska great Tom Osborne announced the dismissal one day after the Cornhuskers ended the season at 5-7 following a 65-51 loss at Colorado. They squandered an 11-point halftime lead by allowing 34 consecutive points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3125379

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can't resist a name-drop when someone is fired?

I thought the exact same thing... But if you know ESPN and you know Schad, you shouldn't be surprised...

Because we all want the scoop when someone gets fired... Shameless...

4. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Schad's an amateur. [/DavidAldridgereporting]

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Awesome. ;D

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Glad Colorado finished off Nebraska's woeful season with something akin to pouring lighter fluid on an already raging fire.

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

OK, Joe, it's SportsJournalists.com, registration is free. Come on over and fire your salvos.

8. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Unfortunately, it's true. He was the first to report it. Everyone else followed about five minutes later.

Doesn't excuse the name dropping, though.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"Coach, go ahead and have a seat. OK . . . I have good news, and I have bad news."

"Um . . .what's the good news?"

"Well, you no longer have to live in Nebraska."

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hopefully Nebraska can get a good coach; it's good for the game when the great programs have great leaders. But I agree with those who say it might be tough for them to get the best possible candidate. Like an Indiana basketball, the overly demanding fanbase, weight of history with a legendary former coach who is an alltime great of the game, and a question of being able to consistently get the best recruits in today's college sports climate all lead to a very daunting challenge for any coach.

Still, it would be great to see the Huskers get a guy who towers over the program again.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

After watching Bo Pelini's defense cost LSU a national title by giving up 94 points in losses to Arkansas and Kentucky, why in the world would Nebraska want to hire this guy?

I'm sorry, he is a classic example of a guy who needs to go to the MAC for a few years to prove he can be a good head coach before he is handed the keys to an A-list job. There are plenty of questions about that guy.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Boo, sir.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

12. This actually made me laugh out loud.

Draft saved Draft deleted