1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NTSB recommends nationwide ban on cell phones while driving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Good. Hopefully talk is not cheap.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Good points. Good luck enforcing this possible ban. Cops can't keep a dumb ass redneck who's had his license suspended 19 times from loading up on Keystone Light and getting behind the wheel. What makes anyone think this can be enforced?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ah, I see, so this is a bone they're throwing to the automakers so they can upcharge on the in-car hands-free? What's the difference between talking on the in-car hands-free and a regular bluetooth?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. If it was an actual bill, I'd be looking for some evidence of lobbying by the industry on the issue.

Not sure why the NTSB would make a distinction between a factory installed blue tooth & and after market one.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

As someone at the mercy of drivers on most of my commutes (I'm a cyclist) I can tell you that most of the people who have come close to taking my life were on their cell phones at the time. Besides which, if you have a phone in one hand, you're not going to use your turn signal which can really fuck things up.

7. imjustagirl

My guess would be that people might have to dig around for their Bluetooth, taking their eyes off the road. A factory-installed one, I think, is just a button on the steering wheel.

Without a way to guarantee someone using an after-market one gets in their car with it on, they just ax it.

8. imjustagirl

My turn signal's on the left side. I hit it without taking a hand off the wheel.

Plus, I usually have my phone against my shoulder and both hands on the wheel.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Then I wish we lived in the same neighbourhood. :D

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on cyclists.

11. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I remember that clearly. I was telling my daughter (that I communicate with daily and yet live three hours from) the other day that when I was her age, I lived 5 miles from my mom and we talked on the phone 2-3 times a week. A phone conversion with her required us to both stop everything we were doing and sit down on the couch and talk.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Of course this isn't very enforceable on an everyday basis. But if you cause an accident while texting/calling, and it's banned, I reckon you'll face far stiffer penalties than you would now. In time it will become a social stigma, probably never to the level of drinking and driving but at least in the ballpark.

Can't applaud this enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted