1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NTSB recommends nationwide ban on cell phones while driving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Dec 13, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Re: the eating while driving, I've seen people in my area cited for reckless driving or swerving for that, at least when going through police reports.

2. There's a lot of things that can cause a driver to take a hand off the wheel. Changing the radio station, switching CDs, adjusting the mp3 player, fidding with the GPS, adjusting the heater/air conditioner ...

Are we going to ban everything? Not saying that's necessarily a dealbreaker. I could get on board with that. Just want to know how far down this road we need to go before enough is enough.

And believe you me, there's not much in the world more distracting than a pair of preschoolers in the back seat. Are we banning children from riding in cars?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Read it again folks. If implemented as recommended by each state, your blue tooth would be banned as well, unless it is factory installed.

I finally got a hands free, as they were really cracking down on it here.

It's a little speaker/mike that clips to my visor like a garage door opener. Very convenient. No reason at all to ban it.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As a society, we are more than capable of drawing reasonable lines.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The ban includes texting, which is arguably the more important habit to break among our American yout.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Goddammit.

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

¿Que es una yout?

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There is no habit I'd rather see broken before my children are of texting age than that one.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'd like to know how they'll enforce this. Where I live, there's already a ban on using a handheld phone, but every day on my way to and from work, I can count more than a dozen people holding their phones and talking away while driving. The best is when I see cops doing it (at least once or twice a week).

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ignore!

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Selective enforcement, I imagine, similar to speeding and everything else that people do all the time and don't get busted for.

Draft saved Draft deleted