1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NTSB recommends nationwide ban on cell phones while driving

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beaker, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

NTSB today finally recommends full ban:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/13/us/ntsb-cell-phone-ban/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Doesn't apply to hands-free devices or emergency calls.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Great step. They're banned in California, and I have become a huge devotee. (My kids know about it and they'd be all over me if I ever tried to talk or text and drive anyway.)

I can see the industry lobby going nuts over this. But it's no more intrusive than a seat-belt law.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

One step closer.....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

To a world ruled by Tripod? Dear god, the humanity.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I, for one, welcome our three-legged overlords.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

"Thank you, human. Now go fetch me some kibble. Fetch! Fetch! See? How do you like it?!?"
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You can't drink and drive. That's infringing liberty as well. You can't have a problem with banning drinking and driving, while at the same time saying a cell phone ban infringes on your freedoms.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Right. And this isn't about protecting people from themselves, this is about protecting innocent people from dangerous drivers.

9. LongTimeListener

Who here is old enough to remember when people figured out where they were going and decided when to meet the other person BEFORE they got in the car? Remember that time? It was when the world was black-and-white.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The NTSB should know better than to recommend bans while driving. Focus on the road.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I have a blue tooth headset, so this doesn't really affect me, but I wonder why someone is considered more distracted when talking on a handset than they are on a headset. Does it take that much extra brain power to hold the handset up?

12. LongTimeListener

It takes a hand off the wheel.

You are right, a ban on all talking, even hands-free, would be safer and more sensible. But that won't come until there's a ban on the handheld units and further research shows that the hands-free ones are dangerous too.

Draft saved Draft deleted