1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NT Times ombudsman says moveon.org got improper ad rate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lot of noise everywhere (not merely here) from people who have zero understanding of newspapers'
    standby-rates policies.

2. Seems to me the adperson was fishing around for a sub rosa commission --coughKICKBACKcough -- on when the ad would run.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It would be alot easier to take you all seriously on the issue if you would acknowledge the blatant bias, and dismiss it as an anomoly than if you try to convince us that the obviously dead bird will soon fly again.

4. The bias is neither blatant nor real.
    Carry on.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What blatant bias?

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

You can get substantial breaks from the Times on price if you're not looking to call the tune on the precise day and date an adv will run . . .

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the equation is at the NYT, but at most Guild papers the commission is not very much; the salesmen primarily make their Guild-negotiated salaries. There would be little point in having a union otherwise.

My thinking is that while they can't guarantee when a standby ad would run, common sense would be that Mondays and Tuesdays are the lightest ad days, so your chances would be pretty good to run instead of a house ad.

8. Also:
    http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:8cZWoG6eyGcJ:adage.com/mediaworks/article%3Farticle_id%3D120480+moveon+giuliani+ad+rates&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=us

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The shame of this dumb ad is that it gives the chicken hawks the perfect red herring to bleat about. Anything other than the war.

Hey, in addition to our boys getting killed we have Blackwater hot dogs gunning down innocent Iraqis and Army snipers who leave ammo and explosives and wires and such as "bait" and then shoot down anyone who picks them up.

Good times!

And it's a wonder all the Iraqis don't love us.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Seriously, have you ever met ad salesmen? They are usually pretty far from liberal. My dad was one -- I believe he voted for one Dem presidential candidate in his life (Jimmy Carter -- hah!) -- and all his colleagues were much the same politically. That's the part that I find especially absurd in this whole "bias" thing that conservatives are screaming about. If those folks had lunch with your average newspaper ad salesman, they'd invite him to join the Rotary Club.

11. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I'd say even. Liberals bedding down with liberals. Journalism bias at its finest.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The FNC crew who ginned up this whole story obviously knows nothing about newspaper advertising sales.
    If Guiliani is willing to pony up for the football tab in addition to the back page, neither the publisher nor I would care if he uses the spot to say 3,000 people died so he can be our emperor.
    And to put this liberal media crap to bed, those who make the important decisions at papers are generally anything but liberal.

Draft saved Draft deleted