1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NRA using newspaper bags to urge vote against Obama

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cosmo, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When I clicked on this thread I thought the title said NBA, not NRA.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The NRA ought to be using colostomy bags for ads.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anything that generates revenue for newspapers ... I wouldn't dismiss out of hand.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Moddy posted something about this last week after his old paper turned it down. This is not a good precedent.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever read what's on the bag. I just tear it off and read the paper.

It amazes me how people are so willing to spend money foolishly during an election. Last weekend an Obama worker rang our doorbell and asked to speak with my wife. I called upstairs to her, saying the Obama people wanted to talk to her.

Wife: "Tell them to go away!" (Could clearly be heard by campaign worker.)

Me: "We're both voting for him, but she doesn't want to talk."

Campaign worker: "Can I leave some literature?"

Me: "Why would you want to do that? I already said we're voting for him."

I would think the NRA's strategy would do McCain more harm than good, even if people did read the bag. Probably the people who would be most likely to place even minimal value on the NRA's opinion wouldn't vote for Obama anyway. The NRA just wants to make noise, but there are more cost-effective ways to do so than this.

7. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Like firing guns in the air?

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

At some papers, these bags are going to be used ON Election Day. That's the part that's real sketchy to me.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Damn did my rag get phone calls about this. The county democrats even sent out a press release against this saying we were endorsing McCain with bags.

What a shit show.

10. I can't even get the courier to deliver my paper consistently, and I work for the friggin' newspaper.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

When it's an ad in the paper, it's clearly labeled as an advertisement.

When it's used to wrap the product and to keep it dry, it gives the impression that it was supplied by the newspaper itself.

Bad idea.

Draft saved Draft deleted