1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NRA: Keep your working guns out of our convention

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Apr 8, 2015.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It would be safer if they just kept the people out.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But aren't they violating Americans' Second Amendment rights?;)

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The story sounds to me like they just want to express that this isn't a gun show, so working firearms aren't allowed. Patrons are encouraged to bring firearms. Thread, story and headline don't match.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Isn't that SOP at gun shows? Action open, zip ties in place?

6. three_bags_full

I don't think so, because at so many gun shows, you don't have to have background checks and can buy them on the spot from a non-licensed "dealer."

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Conventions and trade shows have exhibitors. At the hardware convention they display hammers and drills and power saws. At the air conditioning, heating and refrigeration expo, they display heating and refrigeration units. At the auto dealers convention, they display stuff related to cars.

At none of those conventions, however, do they have to say, "You need to modify the products before bringing them into the exhibit hall, because they are inherently dangerous things." Which is essentially what the NRA said.

Given the NRA's stances in the past, it *is* kind of funny.

This is the organization that was telling us that teachers should walk around schools armed, after Sandy Hook. Should the teachers carry guns without firing pins, since having guns that can actually fire around is dangerous?

8. three_bags_full

Read the story, dude. I'm not an NRA supporter by any stretch of the imagination, but the story didn't say working guns are not allowed. The NRA also didn't say it's because guns are too dangerous. Neither did the Tennesseean story linked in the posted article. Carnival goers are encouraged to bring operational, concealed carry weapons into the facility. Operational firearms aren't needed at the gun/trade show because you can't take them home like you can at traditional gun shows. Inexplicably, this actually shows a bit of common sense from an organization not known for it. They're requiring background checks and pick ups from dealers with FFLs.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

a non working firearm is a paperweight

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I did read the story.

You just told me that operational firearms are "not needed" at the trade show.

My question would then be why *is* it needed for the guns displayed to be non-operational?

Draft saved Draft deleted