1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NPR: The Rise of Disability

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sorry I missed it

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Man, I wish someone had linked to it somewhere on this thread.

3. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Well, duh me. I thought I was on the only page (1) when I thought I read it all. On to line editing boys, you got me.

4. Boom_70

No big deal. A classic newbie error :). Welcome.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's never been easier to move. In the past, people moved to where the jobs were. Folks moved in the millions to factory jobs in the north in the late 1800's.

People moved west for opportunities, including mining jobs. And, when those jobs dried up, they moved on, and the towns were abandoned.

People still move to North Dakota and Alaska for work.

But, too many seem to think that others should take care of them -- forever -- if their job goes away.

And, no town/city will ever address its own issues if the Federal government bears all the responsibility for their welfare.

Which raises a question. What town/city has done the best job of reinventing itself after its initial industry collapsed, or major employer folded or left town?

What are some examples?

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who *did* move to North Dakota for a job when I could only afford to take what I had in my car and hope to get my moving expenses check the day I got there, it's not something that all the millions of unemployed can all do at once.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There's a serious shift in character that is going on with stuff like this. Or maybe it's just rationalization based on the method of disbursement.

But it's not merely "Back in our day we walked five miles to school" nostalgia to note the change in attitude toward benefits and cash not earned. When it was offered in the past at a micro level -- person to person, or local church or charity to person -- many struggling Americans would say "Thanks but no thanks. I'm too proud to take that." Then they'd dig their way out, turn to family or relocate. Now that the handouts come from a macro level, through a big honkin' federal or state government, it's "Why not take it? No one really sees you, and everyone else is getting it."

Where I live, there's almost a culture of disability lifestyle and fraud, so that those who'd rather find a job they're capable of doing are made to feel like losers for not wanting a lifetime stream of payments. "Work again? Why bother?"

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

One vote for Pittsburgh, which has turned itself into a medical and technology center as the steel industry declined.

9. Boom_70

Flint, Michigan. I remember seeing a Michael Moore Documentary about how Flint reinvented itself as a tourism destination site when the auto plants were closing.

10. YankeeFan

Looks like nothing has changed:

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd think it's also a bit of cynicism over how people see the government giving out no-bid contracts and politicians rewarding their friends and saying to themselves that it's pigs at the trough, so why not get in on the action.

12. YankeeFan

Chicago high school short of teachers because it's, "been hit by a string of teachers out on disability leaves."

Draft saved Draft deleted